Guided and tutored by a professional photographer, gain practical experience in wildlife photography while contributing to the conservation of South Africa’s wildlife. Using your new skills, you will support NGO’s and help raise awareness of environmental and conservation issues in the Greater Kruger Area.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Volunteer alongside a professional photographer who will offer you intensive tutoring to take your photography skills to a professional level
- During your daily volunteering activities, enhance your camera skills in the disciplines of wildlife, birding, macro, landscape, experimental photography and more
- Use your photography skills to aid our sister projects, from contributing to I.D. Kits for research or reporting on the developments in our community projects
- Gain understanding of ethical wildlife photography and its role in conservation
- Learn how your images can make a difference through conservation support, fundraising, marketing and more
- Learn about Africa’s flora and fauna from our expert guides, putting that critical edge and professionalism behind your photography
- Live in the African bush, meet the Big 5 and explore the vast and stunning landscapes
About the Destination
During your volunteer placement, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply a career-break, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. At weekends our team can help you organise day and over night trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
The photography program is a 4-week placement (with optional extension) which begins with an intensive induction from our on-site professional photographer. Under his guidance and in the impressive setting of the Greater Kruger Region in South Africa, photographers have the opportunity to enhance their photographic skills, encounter some of Africa’s most iconic wildlife and most importantly, contribute to on-going research, community and environmental initiatives.
Fun & Travel
Go on Weekend Trips
In your time off (Saturdays and Sundays), you can go on exciting excursions to beautiful locations. You’ll be staying on the doorstep of the Blyde River Canyon and can visit the Kruger National Park, go on a microlight or white river rafting, jump into waterholes while extreme hiking or why not visit another country whilst here and head to Swaziland for the weekend! No matter which you chose you will find lots of amazing photo opportunities!
Photography volunteers can enter a Cover-Shot competition, join a ‘Painting with Light’ and/or night sky photo practice and feature in a photography showcase (to mention only a couple).
Cultural presentations, achievement presentations, poaching debates, star-gazing and a presentation about our partners and The African Impact Foundation could be available for you to attend.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact home in the African bush – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- An intensive induction from our on-site professional photographer
- Guidance and support throughout from our on-site professional photographer
Our project fee excludes:
- Camera equipment and laptop
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
A ndzi ringeta ku endla xiculu. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“It was a privilege being exposed to the quality of the guides. Their knowledge is amazing. The photography course stretched me daily as I’m a new aspiring photographer. These guys have a strong work ethic, they are driven and motivated to make, as the name implies, an impact. Their programmes are really well planned and so is the organizational day to day living around the lodge. Highly professional.”
Yvette Cherry. USA
“I gained new friends and a lot of wonderful photographs. I received so much photographic knowledge and experience. All of the photography instruction was great and both professional photographers we worked with are wonderful. I really like that the program allows us to work with more than one photographic instructor to help us form our own style and opinions.”
Grace Mcleod, USA