Discover the real Zambia by volunteering in the amazing town of Livingstone for 2 weeks. A stone’s throw from the mighty Victoria Falls, this project offers the opportunity to not only make a lasting impact in the local community, but to immerse yourself in the rich cultural and wildlife heritage of this incredible part of Africa. Walking Rhino Safaris and Village Tours are just some of the adventures awaiting our intrepid volunteers. So join us in Zambia and make a real difference through our Eco Build, Sports and After-School programs while experiencing Africa as very few visitors ever do!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Help us create Eco-Build projects – a new environmentally conscious approach to building with plastic bottles and litter
- Bring sports and games to disadvantaged children with hands-on games, creative arts and team sports
- Help keep children off the streets by providing a safe and supportive environment at after-school clubs
- Uncover the real Zambia on educational cycle tours and amazing visits to a local village – watch out for wandering elephants though!
- Enjoy your evenings in vibrant Livingstone with it’s mix of bars, coffee shops and restaurants
- Don’t forget, this is the adventure capital of Africa with high adrenalin white-water rafting, gorge swings, bungee jumps and famous Victoria Falls just down the road!
“I volunteered with African Impact in Zambia and can safely say they were the best two weeks of my life so far. Being my first solo trip, I was quite nervous, but right from day one, the whole team made me feel so welcome. Overall I had a fantastic life-changing experience and met so many local people which enabled me to really embrace the Zambian culture.”
Jess Smith, UK
“My experience at African Impact has changed my life. They provided me with the knowledge and skills to help make a difference in the amazing world and culture that I was able to experience. African Impact was very involved in my travels and my safety making me feel very comfortable and safe. Thank you African Impact for changing my life and providing me with the materials needed to help make a difference.”
Sara Steingraf, USA
Dates & Rates
- All airport collection and returns. An African Impact team member will be waiting to meet you
- All accommodation and food, including 3 meals a day
- 24 hour support on every project and at the volunteer accommodation by onsite staff
- Tea, coffee and filtered water
- Medical and travel insurance
- Flights to your chosen destination
- Weekend trips and other non-project activities
- Alcohol. Please note this is not allowed during day time activities
How your volunteer fee is used:
Volunteer tourism, or ‘voluntourism’ as it is popularly known, is loosely defined as a holiday in which you give back to the land you are visiting; contributing to either community development or conservation. But it’s so much more than that. Voluntourism encompasses a new trend of responsible tourism, where travelers are making informed and responsible choices and planning trips which don’t negatively affect the country or communities they are visiting. When volunteering, it is critical that travelers choose a volunteer organisation or charity with a proven ethos and philosophy around sustainable and responsible tourism practices. This applies both to their work with local communities, wildlife and our volunteers themselves.
African Impact is proud to have a 10 year track record of facilitating responsible volunteer programs in Africa, providing 24 hour support and guidance for volunteers and offering on-going support to communities in need. Understandably, these operations cost money to run and this is where the volunteer fee comes in.
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer!
As a volunteer in Livingstone, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day, but will be based in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well! Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants.
Aside from being the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa, Livingstone is also an amazing place to spot wildlife, as there are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
Whether you’re volunteering abroad to gain work experience during your gap year, looking to take a career break or just want a new challenge, Livingstone is the place to be!
Volunteers joining this project will take part in the below activities during the first 2 weeks of their placement. For those wishing to stay longer than 2 weeks, a choice between a variety of community volunteering initiatives will be available and the volunteer will then join that project on a full-time basis. (E.g. Joining the sports project, the building project or the teaching project.)
Work & Impacts
Building & Construction Projects
Work & Impacts
Sports & Physical Education
Work & Impacts
After School Clubs
Work & Impacts
Other Activities You'll Be Involved In
Fun & Travel
Included In The Price
Fun & Travel
Extra Tours And Travel
- Enjoy local cafes, bars and restaurants after strolling through the curio and fabric markets
- Go on an overnight safari and see some incredible animals including the Big 5. Fall asleep under the stars to the sounds of roaring lions
- Visit the incredible Victoria Falls and check off one of the Seven Wonders of the World on your bucket list (bring a poncho!)
- Get the rush of a lifetime and take the plunge with a bungee jump off the Victoria Falls Bridge
- Get out onto the river, whether on a boat cruise or white water rafting
- Lots more!