Live the tropical island dream while teaching English, caring for children and sharing your skills in incredible Zanzibar. Immerse yourself in the warm community of Jambiani and make long-term contributions through teaching, promoting gender equality, developing the community centre and assisting with local conservation initiatives.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Alongside a great project team, help provide education support to children, young adults and women within the community
- Become part of this welcoming beach community
- Create exciting educational games as well as sports for nursery school children to help with their important development
- Assist in improving educational facilities within the community to help improve the learning environment for the children in the village
- Have the chance to try a new language and learn some Swahili
- Empower the local women of Jambiani by working together on education, health and income generating projects
- Swim with dolphins in their natural environment, an experience you will never forget!
- Snorkel and scuba dive in some of the world’s most spectacular coral reefs
About the Destination
Zanzibar is a tropical paradise, an island just off the coast of Tanzania that is rich in culture, history, and also home to some of the most beautiful coastlines in Eastern Africa. When you think of crystal, turquoise oceans and endless white sandy beaches, Zanzibar is it. The bustling city of Stone Town is where you will fly into and the area itself is a hub of activity, with traders selling spices, fruits and fish caught fresh that day on every street corner, while also boasting the impressive title of a World Heritage Site.
Just an hour away from Stone Town is the beautiful coastal village of Jambiani, where your home will be during your stay on this teaching volunteer project. You will be greeted with stunning white sandy beaches that run along the entire coast, scattered with coconut palm trees and warm and friendly locals. It is here where you will undertake your volunteer work, immersing yourself in the local community.
Living in a private beach house that steps right out onto the sea front, the area itself is known for its world-class snorkelling, scuba-diving and marine-spotting opportunities. Whether you’re jumping into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean to explore the coral reefs, snorkelling with the resident dolphins or sunning yourself on the beach, Zanzibar is the perfect location to ‘get off the grid’, while also making long-lasting and sustainable change for the local people.
Fun & Travel
Zanzibar is the perfect location for incredible snorkeling experiences, swimming with the sea-life, boat rides, scuba diving, kitesurfing and dhow and ngalawa sailing.
Zanzibar is not all about the delicious food! Overlooking the turquoise Indian Ocean, it is the perfect setting to enjoy walks on the beach, jogging, yoga, exercise at sunrise, or football training as the sun goes down.
Cultural and Conservation Tours
Zanzibar provides a plethora of tourist attractions and activities to explore. From city and spice tours to the Jozani Forest and Stone Town, you will not run out of exciting options during your volunteer stay in Zanzibar. Stone Town is the cultural heart of Zanzibar and is a place of winding alleys, mosques and bustling bazaars where you can enjoy some great shopping.
Go on an Inland Adventure
Should you be staying a little longer, inland Tanzania offers some of the most popular safari sites in the world. Seeing the wildlife – and the sunsets! – in the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater will take your breath away. And speaking of being breathless – for the fit, well-prepared and brave at heart, there is always Mount Kilimanjaro to climb!
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact home in Jambiani – a cozy, safe and lively house shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 fresh and delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Hata uwe kauzu vipi, huwezi kujamba wakati unatongoza. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“My experience here in Zanzibar has been hard work on the land, ecobricking and a lot of teaching and prepping, but I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. You go through everything here with other volunteers, which allows to make friends from all over the world. But the best part of this, are the local people you meet. Everybody is extremely welcoming, you can’t go around the village without being greeted and welcomed. The people here are so nice, you feel right at home!”
Nora Daoudi, Belgium
“I have just got back from the best month of my life, and that is not an exaggeration! At first I was thinking of only spending 2 weeks in Jambiani, but I am SO glad I booked 4 weeks instead. Jambiani is absolutely beautiful and everyone is SO friendly and SO genuine. After a month of life literally ON the beach, you really get to know the people, (both the adults and the children) and the village as though it is home. It is so strange returning to the western world, I don’t know what to do with myself. Not once did I feel unsafe, unhappy or bored, it was paradise and the trip of a lifetime. Thank you so much African Impact!”
Hannah Cheater, UK