Put your passion for sport to good use as you provide sports coaching to children at Zambian schools and sports clubs. Sports resources are limited in Livingstone and while there is a lack of skilled trainers, the enthusiasm for physical exercise is high. As a volunteer, you’ll coach children of different age groups and help them develop important skills. In addition, you’ll get to know and assist the Livingstone community through a variety of building, farming, and education initiatives.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Teach physical education classes at schools, during which you can teach games and introduce your own lesson plans.
- Coach children at sports clubs in sports such as rugby, soccer, volleyball, and netball.
- Teach lessons on physical health and general life skills at schools, focusing on issues like hygiene, nutrition, exercise and teamwork.
- Offer children enriching stimulation through extra-curricular reading, math and art clubs.
- Assist with rewarding construction work by refurbishing, building or painting classrooms.
- Get your hands dirty at our organic farms, which offer community members education on growing food and becoming more self-sustainable.
- Work and live in a welcoming Zambian community, and immerse yourself in the local culture.
“I thought the programme was a great way to allow children to learn sports that they would not necessarily get to play. As the schools do not have PE equipment, it is down to African impact sports volunteers to be there to teach them, which is why it is a fantastic programme. Children just love their sport and putting a smile on their faces everyday shows that the programme is doing what it should.” Steven Thom, UK
“This is my third volunteer experience in Africa and whilst I loved all three, this one stands out as a clear favourite for me. Every single member of the staff here is so fantastic, incredibly friendly and clearly very passionate not just about what they do, but about the impact and difference being made in the lives of locals that are reached out to. The structure of the days meant that I never felt too overwhelmed with too much work on a project at any one time and was able to fully enjoy each day. There is a lot to do and to see here and this project gives you a chance to experience it all. It’s amazing, challenging and inspiring to see just how much can be done with so little resources. I wish I was staying much longer and had more of a chance to see more of what’s being done here.” Kathryn, Australia
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Livingstone Backpackers, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Akabangilile, kaumine ipulu. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer! Don’t worry, you will certainly not miss out on wildlife. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
As Livingstone volunteer, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day. Your mornings are focused on the project you select – medical, sports, teaching, environment, gender empowerment or building. What makes being a Livingstone community volunteer so unique and different than any other project is that you are able to experience so many different activities because every afternoon is different. You will join in a variety of activities that help uplift the community including After School Club, Reading Club, Math Club, Art Club, Maramba Old People’s Home, Linda Farm, Adult Literacy Club, Life Skills workshops and more! This gives you a well-rounded experience and exposes you to all parts of the community.
You’ll be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well! Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants. You won’t want to leave your “new home” as the staff will become your new family!
Come join us in this special place that will fill your heart with compassion and love. We look forward to welcoming you!
Work & Impacts
Physical Education Classes
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Life Skills Program
Fun & Travel
Fun & Travel
During your stay at your “home” in Livingstone, the Livingstone Backpackers, you have the opportunity to play volleyball with the locals, explore the variety of restaurants and bars in town, have a “movie under the stars night”, and braai with your group of new friends. The backpackers has beautiful big swimming pool and bar area which is a great place to relax after a hard days work.
Fun & Travel
Go On a Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Fun & Travel
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.