Put your passion for sports, fitness, wellness and nutrition to great use as you educate and train school students in the villages of Livingstone. With physical education not in the curriculum in Zambia, resources limited and a lack of skilled coaches, your input is vital to improving self-confidence, health and life skills among the local community, that would otherwise be lacking.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Bring a fun, creative and dynamic approach to delivering sport lessons to children of primary school age
- Bring your skills from home and assist with a variety of after-school sports clubs
- Teach lessons on physical health and general life skills at schools, focusing on issues like hygiene, nutrition, communication and teamwork
- Observe progression, improved skills and confidence amongst the local children first hand
- Be immersed into the community and help to empower and influence all ages with a sense of self-worth
- Offer children enriching stimulation through a variety of afternoon community development projects
- Meet the friendliest, most warm hearted, gracious, determined and zealous African people, who are guaranteed to inspire and motivate.
- Visit the majestic Victoria Falls, also known as “The Smoke that Thunders” and enjoy some of the amazing tourist activities that Livingstone has to offer
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer! Don’t worry, you will certainly not miss out on wildlife. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
As a Livingstone volunteer, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day. Your mornings are focused on sports coaching whilst in the afternoons you will join in a variety of development projects that help uplift the community including After School Care, Reading Club, Adult Literacy Class, Life Skills workshops and more! This gives you a well-rounded experience, exposes you to all parts of the community and is ultimately what makes being a Livingstone community volunteer so unique.
You’ll be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, lounge, BBQ and bar area. Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of cafes and restaurants. You won’t want to leave your “new home” as the staff will become your new family!
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
“Overall it was a great experience. I loved meeting and becoming friends with other volunteers who were all different ages and from different countries. Our coordinators were fun and approachable, and you could tell they were passionate about the different projects. Livingstone was awesome because I could ask to be on different projects and they were very flexible and accommodating. The kids in the sport program were so quick at learning and a lot of fun to be around every day. I was able to make up my own activities and was trusted to run sessions with over 40 kids! Highly recommended!”
Justin Gates, Australia
“Volunteering with African Impact in Livingstone has been an incredible experience. Upon arrival, I could not have imagined that I would train with the Zambian national rugby team, walk with rhinos and zip-line across the falls before my stay was complete. The hands-on nature of the projects are a great way to engage with the local community and also develop useful skills for the future. On the sports project, we quickly became familiar with some useful phrases in nyanja (much to the amusement of the children) and days out like the village tour allowed us to experience the village way of life ad taste the local delicacies. In short, we have met some incredible people in an incredible place and we have had an incredible time.”
Sam Bishop, UK