This medical program supports the healthcare system in Limuru, a tea town in Kenya where the community struggles with inadequate infrastructure, overcrowding, and limited resources. Volunteers help staff at local facilities by offering medical support and assistance. This medical project is an enriching way to learn, give back, and explore the world. It is ideal for you if you’re: in the medical field, want to gain experience, or you’re exploring a career in healthcare.
Want to volunteer in a hospital as part of your studies? Check out our medical internship.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU WILL GET TO:
- Offer medical support and assistance to nurses and doctors at local clinics, hospitals, and healthcare centers
- Experience the complexities and challenges of public health care in a developing country while improving your skills and abilities
- Assist with community home based care to provide care to people with limited resources and access to healthcare
- Get involved in various community programs, such as reading clubs and educational classes at care centers
- Live in the peaceful highlands of Kenya, at Brackenhurst Hotel, a safe and quiet estate in the small tea town of Limuru
- Limuru is about 30 minutes outside of Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, so there is plenty to keep your weekends busy – like elephant sanctuaries, safari camps, and some of the best beaches in Africa!
About the Destination
Being a medical support volunteer can be tough work, so having a comfortable place to stay is important. You will stay at Brackenhurst Hotel while you are on this medical project in Kenya. It is a hotel and retreat center nestled between the forests and tea fields of Kenya’s highlands.
The lush green surroundings offer the perfect space for relaxing and reflecting on your experiences in the evenings. The estate has running trails and a tennis, volleyball, and basketball court. Brackenhurst Hotel is about 1 hour from the Great Rift Valley and Nairobi.
Venture out of town and you will find the great Maasai Mara and some of Africa’s best beaches. Over weekends, you can explore these sublime landscapes, get up close to Africa’s iconic wildlife, and meet Maasai warriors. You can also visit the rock that inspired Pride Rock in The Lion King.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay
- 3 meals a day cooked by a local chef (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Transport to and from project
- 24/7 support from experienced international and local staff
- Full orientation to ensure you contribute responsibly
- Project equipment and resources
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights (we can assist you with this)
- Travel insurance (we can assist you with this)
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours not on the itinerary
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, and souvenirs
“Living in Africa for a short period of time has changed my perspective in so many ways. I am so appreciative of the opportunities I have back home. Kenyans have also taught me that material things don’t make you happy, it’s the love and support of your community that make you happy. Some highlights of the time I spent in Kenya was working with the children at the school and getting to assist in maternity at Tigoni hospital; I would recommend African Impact to anyone.”
Morgan Harbick, USA
“I can definitely say that my decision to volunteer with African Impact was the best thing I have ever decided to do. It was rewarding and I was constantly learning about the people and their lives here. I also met some amazing people, volunteers, coordinators and staff of African Impact who I have loved spending time with and hope to keep in contact with in the future. I think this project has given me the perfect opportunity to see what life is really like in Kenya while still being able to see the sights on the weekends and enjoy the company of other volunteers.”
Jill Armour, Australia