Gain invaluable hands-on healthcare experience in a developing country to kick-start your medical career, whilst having a life-changing impact on vulnerable communities in Kenya. Working alongside professional doctors and nurses, you will offer an extra pair of hands at understaffed hospitals, as well as provide support to local schools.
Don’t know which speciality field you want to work in? Want to gain practical experience in a hospital, but you’re still studying? Then this is the perfect project for you as you’ll experience it all.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Gain hands-on experience working in a hospital alongside professional doctors and nurses
- Experience working in a developing country and help Kenya’s struggling healthcare system
- Have fun – and spend one-on-one time – with vulnerable children in schools which will aid in their development
- Live in the beautiful Kenyan highlands, just outside of Nairobi
- Spend your free time exploring some of the world’s best safari parks, including the famous Maasai Mara Reserve
- Get up close and personal with wildlife at the Nairobi Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Centre during your free time
“Living in Africa for a short period of time has changed my perspective in so many ways. I am so appreciative of the opportunities I have back home. Kenyans have also taught me that material things don’t make you happy, it’s the love and support of your community that make you happy. Some highlights of the time I spent in Kenya was working with the children at the school and getting to assist in maternity at Tigoni hospital; I would recommend African Impact to anyone.”
Morgan Harbick, USA
“I can definitely say that my decision to volunteer with African Impact was the best thing I have ever decided to do. It was rewarding and I was constantly learning about the people and their lives here. I also met some amazing people, volunteers, coordinators and staff of African Impact who I have loved spending time with and hope to keep in contact with in the future. I think this project has given me the perfect opportunity to see what life is really like in Kenya while still being able to see the sights on the weekends and enjoy the company of other volunteers.”
Jill Armour, Australia
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay within the stunning Brackenhurst Center in Limuru – a cozy, safe and private cottage shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Hata uwe kauzu vipi, huwezi kujamba wakati unatongoza. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
About the Destination
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country, with much for a visitor to experience. It’s home to some of the world’s best safari locations and offers the most diverse and abundant game viewing opportunities, as well as being in the heart of the fascinating Maasai tribe community.
Your volunteer work will be based in the communities surrounding Limuru, just 30 miles from Nairobi in the lush, green, tea-growing highlands. The climate is warm and temperate and has stunning views over the Great Rift Valley below.
Your accommodation is based in the breath-taking surroundings of the Brackenhurst hotel lodge. It’s a lovely, green, secure and scenic place where you can enjoy recreational activities such as volleyball, tennis, nature walking trails through the forest, or just relaxing by the fire on a cold day at the café.
You will be living in a cosy private cottage on the grounds of the lodge with hot showers and a personal chef to cook all your meals. There is also Wi-Fi at the café if you need to get in touch with home.