Join us as we work towards empowering the healthcare system in rural Kenya, overcoming challenges such as limited resources, overcrowding and lack of infrastructure. Volunteers are able to support local facilities, and contribute to the well being of the community as a whole. For those passionate about the medical field or looking to use their skills and knowledge to give back, this project is a practical way to have a meaningful impact on the lives of those living in rural communities.
Don’t know which specialty field you want to work in? Want to gain practical experience in a hospital as part of your studies? Check out our medical internship!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Provide a pair of much needed hands in local hospitals and clinics alongside professional doctors and nurses, supporting the diverse operations of community healthcare. The great thing is that there is no limit to how involved you can be in daily operations, depending on the current need and your skill level
- Experience the dynamics of public health in a developing country and help Kenya’s struggling healthcare system, offering a much needed hand and widening your own perspective of what medical care looks like
- Spend one on one time with vulnerable children in reading clubs, care centers and preschools, having fun and aiding in their development
- Assist in community home based care, providing much needed care for those with limited resources and medical access
- Live in the beautiful Kenyan highlands, just outside of Nairobi. Enjoy the peaceful and safe Brakenhurst center that you will call home, take in the green rolling hills, scenic walking paths and local cafes
- As the program is located just outside of the vibrant city of Nairobi, there is plenty to keep your weekends busy. From elephant sanctuaries, giraffe centers, safari camps and incredible beaches!
About the Destination
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country, with much for a visitor to experience. It’s home to some of the world’s best safari locations and offers the most diverse and abundant game viewing opportunities, as well as being in the heart of the fascinating Maasai tribe community.
Your volunteer work will be based in the communities surrounding Limuru, just 30 miles from Nairobi in the lush, green, tea-growing highlands. The climate is warm and temperate and has stunning views over the Great Rift Valley below.
Your accommodation is based in the breath-taking surroundings of the Brackenhurst hotel lodge. It’s a lovely, green, secure and scenic place where you can enjoy recreational activities such as volleyball, tennis, nature walking trails through the forest, or just relaxing by the fire on a cold day at the café.
You will be living in a cosy private cottage on the grounds of the lodge with hot showers and a personal chef to cook all your meals. There is also Wi-Fi at the café if you need to get in touch with home.
Dates & Rates
10% off the prices below if you book your placement over May 2019. This includes if you arrive in April and leave in May 2019.
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay within the stunning Brackenhurst Center in Limuru – a cozy, safe and private cottage shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Hata uwe kauzu vipi, huwezi kujamba wakati unatongoza. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“Living in Africa for a short period of time has changed my perspective in so many ways. I am so appreciative of the opportunities I have back home. Kenyans have also taught me that material things don’t make you happy, it’s the love and support of your community that make you happy. Some highlights of the time I spent in Kenya was working with the children at the school and getting to assist in maternity at Tigoni hospital; I would recommend African Impact to anyone.”
Morgan Harbick, USA
“I can definitely say that my decision to volunteer with African Impact was the best thing I have ever decided to do. It was rewarding and I was constantly learning about the people and their lives here. I also met some amazing people, volunteers, coordinators and staff of African Impact who I have loved spending time with and hope to keep in contact with in the future. I think this project has given me the perfect opportunity to see what life is really like in Kenya while still being able to see the sights on the weekends and enjoy the company of other volunteers.”
Jill Armour, Australia