As an intern on this program you will gain unique experience in the daily management of an African stable located on a private game reserve in the heart of Zimbabwe. Get hands-on with riding lessons, safaris, carriage rides, polocrosse, show jumping, and get up-close and personal with African wildlife.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Get to know the African bush whilst exploring on horseback
- Learn, participate and guide guest horserides around the game reserve
- Learn and play the sports of polo, polocrosse and showjumping
- Gain valuable experience in Holistic Stable and Horse Management with in a rustic African setting
- Work hands on with over 40 horses ranging from thoroughbreds to crossbreeds
- Have the opportunity to ride through dams and swim alongside the horse
- Get the chance to work with our Lion Conservation Project
- Camp out under the stars on overnight horseback safaris (additional costs apply)
- Interact and help care for our 4 rescued African elephants
- Make friends for life with other international volunteers along the way!
- Take advantage of optional excursions to see Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas, such as visiting the majestic Victora Falls, going rhino trekking in Matobo National Park, or taking a day trip to see the Great Zimbabwe Ruins – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
About the Destination
One of the highlights of this internship is most definitely that you will be based at Antelope Park Private Game Reserve (Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2016), providing you with a full-time nature and wildlife experience throughout your stay.
Set in over 3,000 acres of open savannah grassland, you can expect to wake up to the distant sounds of lions roaring, and fall asleep to the sounds of African wildlife all around you.
Antelope Park is home to the world-famous African Lion and Environmental Research Trust (ALERT) lion rehabilitation program. It is Africa’s first authentic program working to ethically re-introduce the offspring of captive-bred African lions back into the wild.
Volunteers and interns on all projects at Antelope Park will get to play a role in this ground-breaking program if they are interested in learning more about lion conservation.
Accommodations are a mixture of comfortable twin – or quad – thatched rooms at the reserve’s main camp, with clean showers and toilet facilities located close to the sleeping area. There are plenty of guest facilities also available to volunteers, including a beautiful swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and coffee shop/bar. All your meals will be served at the main camp.
Fun & Travel
Go on Adventure Trips
Being based in Antelope Park gives you the opportunity for extraordinary wildlife encounters, as well as rides through the wilderness on horseback to view the wildlife in the park. During the evening, an exclusive night encounter will give you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.
Soak up the Culture...and Relax!
Your volunteer experience will allow you to be submerged into a new cultural environment. In the surrounding area, you can visit some impressive ancient stone ruins called “Dzimbabwes”, and on lazy afternoons, you can relax on a sundowner cruise or do a bit of canoeing. Antelope Park also has stables with horses suitable for all levels of riders – enjoy a sunrise trail ride through the reserve or try your hand at polocrosse.
Evenings are a great time to relax after a hard day’s work and socialize with other volunteers and interns at the park. Movie nights, bonfire nights, fundraising events such as an African Culture night, trivia/quiz nights, table tennis, volleyball and football are all on offer. Antelope Park has a beautiful bar area and deck where you can view stunning African sunsets over the river.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
I had a really great experience while I was here and got to meet a lot of new people. Everything at the stables was very orderly and nice, which made learning my way around the horses a lot easier! I liked the fact that every two weeks we get a group of new volunteers because it was fun getting to know so many different types of people and from so many countries. This has broadened my horizons by quite a bit. One of my other favorite memories was the overnight horse safari, I got to participate in that twice. We got to sleep out under the stars while having a fire burning all night and a private chef. Every memory I’ve made here will be unforgettable and I hope to get a chance to come back!”
Clare Swaney, USA
“Carrying out a volunteer placement at Antelope Park is one if the best things you can ever do. It’s so amazing that this was the second time I have been to Antelope Park, and there will definitely be more occasions in the future. Everyone there is so so friendly and welcoming, so much that you feel part of the family straight away. You get to experience some amazing things, from riding through the bush as the sun rises, to watching lions hunt. No matter what project you do, everyone gets to experience the park for the first few days.”
Laura O’Hanlon, UK