HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS EXPEDITION:
- Discover the real meaning of ‘Hakuna Matata’ on this action-packed, 2-week expedition exploring Kenya’s most iconic destinations and hidden treasures
- Get your responsible traveling on by volunteering for 1 week on our Teaching and Childcare Project in the rolling hills of Limuru
- Head off on safari in the world-famous Maasai Mara National Reserve, home to the Great Wildebeest Migration and Africa’s Big 5 animals
- Enjoy the white sand and crystal clear waters of Diani Beach on a 4-night coastal getaway (paradise!)
- Explore the vibrant and dymanic city of Nairobi and stop in at the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
- Immerse yourself in the rich Swahili culture while visiting rural villages and markets with your fellow international travelers
Kenya is hands-down one of the greatest places on earth to view wildlife and to experience rural, traditional African culture. It is Maasai country, home to one of the oldest tribes in Africa and famous for its true sense of wilderness. Yet, Kenya is diverse and its coast boasts some of the most pristine, beautiful beaches on the continent, while it’s bustling capital, Nairobi, is a hub for innovation and business.
While Kenya may seem to have it all, 42% of its population are living below the poverty line and suffer from extreme inequality. Since 2014, we have been working to combat this in the rural town of Limuru and invite you to join our team for a week of volunteering on our Teaching Project. Your contribution will directly support disadvantaged children and will provide them with an education that they otherwise would not receive.
SAFARI & BEACH
To further understand Kenya and its diverse culture and destinations, this tour is perfectly complimented by a second week exploring the world-famous Maasai Mara Reserve, a scenic train ride through the heart of Kenya, and finally, 4 nights spent on the white, sandy coast at Diani Beach. With world-class national parks, the greatest wildlife spectacles on earth, tropical beaches, rich culture and friendly locals, Kenya is a must-do volunteering adventure.
ARRIVAL DAY: Sunday
Arrive at Nairobi airport where our team will be waiting for you and will drive you to our volunteer accommodation in Limuru. Settle into your new home with a home cooked dinner and get to know your fellow travelers. Karibu! (Welcome in Swahili!)
Day 1: Monday
Time to give back to your destination by volunteering. Up first, assisting local teachers at pre-and primary schools with pre-planned educational activities. After lunch, it’s time for arts, crafts, sports and play at after-school care programs in the area.
Day 2: Tuesday
After an energetic morning working with the school children, it’s time to see the sights. Get a taste for Kenya on a cultural experience as you sample the local delicacies and meet some of the locals while touring the town of Limuru.
Day 3: Wednesday
Pick up where you left off at school with a full day of volunteering with the children. Get creative with outdoor games, support a local teacher and provide children with an education they otherwise would not receive.
Day 4: Thursday
Volunteer at a facility for children requiring additional support and care, many of whom have been affected by HIV, AIDS or developmental challenges. You can get involved in helping with the youngest children, or get active with the older group. In the afternoon, experience the tastes, smells and sounds of a local Maasai village market and buy some unique souvenirs.
Day 5: Friday
Your final day of volunteering before embarking on the next leg of your journey. A great opportunity to reflect on what you’ve learned. Have your perceptions of Kenya changed? What will you take away from this experience? What have you offered to the children and local teachers?
Day 6: Saturday
The perfect time to tick off your Nairobi bucket-list. You are free to explore the city as you wish, and we are on hand to help you with any bookings for activities. Here are some must-do’s (not included in the price):
- Visit the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage or Giraffe Centre
- Mamba Village Resort and Crocodile Farm Tour
Day 7: Sunday
Collected from the volunteer accommodation, you will depart Limuru and head for the world-famous Maasai Mara National Reserve to witness some of the most spectacular wildlife on the planet. You will spend the next 2 nights on safari, staying at a lodge in the heart of the reserve.
Day 8: Monday
With the help of expert guides, spot Africa’s ‘Big 5’ on safari – the elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo and leopard. If you time it right, you could even witness the Great Annual Wildebeest Migration, where 1.5 million wildebeest cross from the Serengeti National Park into the Mara.
Day 9: Tuesday
After your wild adventure in the bush, you’ll make your way back to the hills surrounding Nairobi where you’ll spend the night at Brackenhurst Lodge for a warm shower, hearty meal and a good night’s rest. It’s the perfect time to relax by the fire with a warm drink and look at all the amazing photos you took while on safari.
Day 10: Wednesday
Wednesday morning, you’ll be taking a scenic journey along the brand-new railway line from Nairobi to Mombasa, to the tropical east coast of Kenya. Upon arrival, you’ll take a safe taxi to the paradise resort of Diani Beach, your secluded and beautiful getaway for a few days.
Day 11: Thursday
Relax on the white sands of Diani Beach after your long journey or take part in some water sports, the choice is yours*. You will be staying at a beach-side backpacker hostel, so there are plenty of activities to get involved in, as well as an amazing nightlife.
Day 12 and 13: Friday and Saturday
The backpacker hostel will be happy to assist you in booking any activities or excursions you’d like to do while in Diani Beach. You can decide what you want to do when you’re there, or even just spend it relaxing on the beach for free – it’s up to you!
- Snorkeling or scuba diving
- Surfing, kite-surfing or wind-surfing
- Go dolphin or whale watching
- Sit back and relax at one of the beach bars
- Simply enjoy the stunning beach
DEPARTURE DAY: Sunday
After a blissful few days on the beach you’ll make your way back to Nairobi on the train and our team will collect you. We recommend flying out of Nairobi any time after 9pm on the Sunday, or alternatively booking a hotel near the airport so that you can be ready for your departure on the Monday. Let us know what you’re thinking and we will be able to assist you in this!
The Finer Details
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- 14-nights accommodation, including your volunteer accommodation, tented camp in the Maasai Mara and beach-side backpacker hostel at Diani Beach)
- Meals day 1 to 10 only
- Guided safari in the Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Volunteer project fee, which covers all training and resources needed to make an impact
- All transport and transfers (excluding the train ride from Nairobi to Mombasa)
- 24 hour support throughout from our staff team on the ground (while volunteering) and our Destination Specialists
- Flights to Nairobi Airport
- Medical and travel insurance
- Any additional activities/excursions while in Limuru, Nairobi or Diani Beach
- Train fare from Nairobi to Mombasa (we will help you book this!)
- Souvenirs, snacks, soft drinks or gifts
Why do an expedition with us?
We believe that when you travel, there should be no compromises. Even if you are limited on time you should be able to explore while still doing some good in the world. This is what we do. In fact, we are the experts in Africa. We create volunteer travel experiences that change lives (and not just your own).
Named the Top Volunteer Abroad Organization in 2017, we are expanding our extremely popular Expedition Programs that take you #BeyondVolunteering. They are not your average tourist holiday; they are the ultimate way to see, do and achieve as much as possible in two weeks. Join our team of passionate staff on the ground for a week of volunteering with local communities or wildlife, before heading out on a road-trip to discover some of Africa’s most iconic destinations.