African Impact’s plastic and environmental sustainability initiative is working to reduce the impact of plastic and waste on people, the environment, and wildlife in Africa. Across two locations in South Africa and Zambia, we are connecting fiercely passionate international volunteers and interns with driven, motivated local communities, who are then able to work together to solve one of our planet’s most pressing issues; plastic and waste.
WHAT DOES THIS INTERNSHIP INVOLVE?
African Impact is looking for dedicated and innovative environmental sustainability interns to join us in Zambia, where waste management systems and infrastructure are seldom up to the task of effectively collecting and recycling refuse. Working closely with the local communities, we are devising ways to educate residents about the importance of effective waste management and coming up with strategies, like eco-bricking, to recycle or upcycle existing plastic waste.
AS AN ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY INTERN, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Learn from African Impact’s Plastic and Environmental Sustainability initiative that champions locally-led solutions, with a focus on; the prevention of waste, direct clean-up action, and exploring creative opportunities for reusing, repurposing and recycling plastics
- Work with local communities, charities, lodges and officials to devise and implement strategies to help reduce the waste management issues currently plaguing Livingstone
- Get involved with our award winning Eco-Brick program
- Gain vital experience in one of the most important issues facing the planet today and help reduce plastic waste
- Be supported by personal and professional development coaches to acquire and develop new skills
- Enjoy the amazing tourist activities that Livingstone has to offer, including the truly majestic Victoria Falls
- Visit the neighboring countries of Botswana, Namibia, and Zimbabwe on exciting optional excursions
- Go on safari in one of the beautiful local game reserves and try to spot the Big 5
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer.
Yet, African Impact have seen first-hand how plastic and waste has destroyed areas of natural beauty and impacted on the lives of community members. Put simply, there is nowhere for litter to go, no bins, and the council do not offer any free waste collection service. With the majority of the population living far below the poverty line, they simply cannot justify the cost of this over schooling or food (nor should they). Thus, litter, plastic and other waste is either dumped in huge piles at the side of the road, burned, or buried.
As an intern, while tackling this issue, you’ll be housed in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well. Your accommodation is a 5-minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants.
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
“Had a fantastic time on the Eco Building Project in Zambia. Was really impressed by African Impact and their work in Livingstone. Loved how there was such an emphasis on community involvement and sustainability. Great diversity in day to day work and a fantastic place to volunteer in. Would absolutely recommend the organisation and the location.”
Benjamin Wells, UK
“My time in Livingstone with African Impact was incredible. I worked as part of the building project. I’ve especially enjoyed this project as you directly see the physical impact you’re making/creating.”
Caitlin Csabanko, Australia