Volunteer with the African Impact team at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve, Antelope Park, and get involved in not only teaching, but the only lion release program of its kind in the world. While walking and researching lions, you will work closely with the local community in schools and drop-in centers to help children gain an education and an appreciation of the magnificent wildlife they live alongside.
THIS PROJECT IS OPEN OVER CHRISTMAS 2018!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Contribute to an incredible conservation program that aims to release captive-born lions into the wild, featured in: BBC’s Nature’s Miracle Orphans, ITV’s Lion Country and Animal Planet’s Roaring with Pride.
- Enjoy extremely close encounters with lions on a daily basis, walking them through the bush while undertaking important research on lions set for release into the wild.
- Become a role model for disadvantaged children while you spend time at a drop-in center for children living on the streets
- Help children falling behind in their education by providing one-to-one support and teaching assistance at a pre-school and primary school in the area.
- Interact with – and help care for – the 4 rescued elephants that live at Antelope Park.
- Take advantage of the amazing activities Antelope Park has to offer on-site; night encounters with lions, overnight horse safaris, or even a day spent relaxing by the pool.
- Spend your free time exploring everything Zimbabwe has to offer by visiting Victoria Falls (one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World), going rhino trekking, or discovering the Great Zimbabwe Ruins.
“I had such an amazing time at Antelope Park. The community project was just incredible and with the lions, my goodness, I never thought I would be able to walk with three 13 month-old lion cubs or carry out research on the release lions and it was just fantastic. I can’t put into words how amazing this volunteering trip really is.”
Danielle Brush, UK
“Really going to miss the children and walking with lions on a daily basis. Everyone makes such a huge difference on African Impact’s projects – cannot recommend African Impact quite enough and how well they look after us volunteers. As a volunteer our lives will never be the same – whilst I was teaching 5-10 year olds, little did I know (or expect) to be the one being taught a lesson…in life.”
Denis Sop, Australia
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Ndinokumbirawo kuti muzvitaure futi. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
About the Destination
Volunteers live at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 and 2016, Antelope Park. It is an authentic African thatched lodge, surrounded by nature and wildlife, and the home of The African Lion and Environmental Research Trust’s Lion Release into the Wild Program and its 100+ lions.
Living here, you will get to experience many unique wildlife encounters, enjoy canoeing on the scenic lake and during the evening, you can even go on a Night Safari offering you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.
Volunteers all stay together in the Volunteer Village, an area of twin and quad rooms with an entertainment area, fire pit and space to relax. The accommodation is clean and comfortable, with good showers and toilet facilities, although there are also options to upgrade to riverside tents or lodges if you wish.
During your stay, you will also be able to use the guest facilities which include the beautiful swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and bar/coffee shop.
You will receive three meals a day; breakfast and dinner served at the main camp of the reserve and a delicious packed lunch for your working day. Wind down at the end of a long day with a nightcap around the fire pit, chatting to other volunteers and guests at the park.
Antelope Park will not only leave you with memories that will last a lifetime, but also with the knowledge that you have personally contributed to the conservation and protection of Africa’s amazing wildlife.
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Fun & Travel
Visiting the Victoria Falls during your stay in Zimbabwe is a must! You will be mesmerized by the sheer volume of water and the magnificent display of nature. We facilitate group trips to Vic Falls where you can unleash your inner adrenaline junkie and do some bungee jumping, river-rafting, zip-lining or abseiling!