The mighty Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world, will be your backdrop on this ground-breaking Lion Rehabilitation program in Zimbabwe. Join us and play a vital role in the conservation of the African Lion.
Hands-On Lion Conservation, Vic Falls Volunteering - Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
THE 4 STAGE RELEASE PROGRAM:
The aim of the 4 stage Lion Release Program is to restore lion populations within East and Southern Africa while promoting social economic benefits to local communities.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
What will I be doing?
Work hands-on volunteering with African Lions, assisting management and their team of guides, handlers and scouts in all aspects of care and conservation.
- Join African Impact on our ground-breaking and globally recognized Lion conservation project
- Enjoy hands-on work and extremely close encounters with the young African lions
- Walk alongside lions in the African bush and experience being part of a hunt as the young cubs learn to stalk their prey
- Experience the African bush in a very special way as you spend time out in the Big 4 Masuwe concession where you will be actively involved in a number of conservation activities
- Enjoy the Adventure Activities available such as white water rafting the mighty Zambezi River; bungee jumping from the Victoria Falls Bridge; or taking a helicopter flight giving a bird’s eye view of the majestic Victoria Falls
- Join the conservation education team in local schools giving you a wonderful insight into the community, as well as giving you a chance to help save the future of the Zimbabwean environment by educating the local children
- Immerse yourself in local Zimbabwean Culture
- Take advantage of optional trips to see more of the area’s spectacular wildlife areas in neighbouring Botswana or Zimbabwe including the vast Hwange National Park, with the chance to walk with a rhino at Matopos National Park and visit the lion rehabilitation programme’s breeding base at Antelope Park
- Make friends for life with the other international volunteers on the project!
- Project Fee: this entails financing that goes directly back into the project that you are involved with. This project fee facilitates funding for items such as food for lions, management and maintenance of park infrastructure, and the development of the lion breeding and rehabilitation programme
- All transfers to and from Victoria Falls International Airport upon your arrival and departure
- Assistance in your projects and comprehensive orientation by various trained guides, ecologists, and staff during your stay
- Full board and lodging which includes 3 meals a day
- Unlimited tea, coffee and juice throughout the day
- Laundry service during your stay
- The service of a cleaner to attend to your room each day
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- Flights to Victoria Falls International Airport
- Email and telephone calls made during your placement (charged out at cost)
- Any activities and excursions outside of your planned itinerary in Zimbabwe e.g. visit to the Victoria Falls
- Personal insurance cover for the duration of your placement, which is expected to include cover for repatriation
- Soft drinks and other food items not included in your meals
Project cost excludes the following:
- You will receive your volunteer's manual which includes information that will help with your integration into the project, and we will also give you further tips for your involvement in the Victoria Falls Project
- Introduction to all senior project staff
- Familiarization of your work duties and the work areas – including rivers, internal roads and tracks, and some of the wildlife species
- Introduction to the lions and cub enclosures
- Briefing on how to complete data capture forms and enter data into the computer systems
- Further information on the lion breeding programme and our ultimate objective of the free release of lions into the wild
- Throughout your placement you will have the support and guidance of our experienced volunteer coordinators. They are part of our greater African Impact support team, which will provide you with competent 24-hour field support and assistance.
Minimum 17 years, maximum decided on participants’ health
Project Duration: 2, 3 and 4 week placements are available