Volunteer in the famous Greater Kruger Area on this combination volunteer program and experience the best of both worlds: community volunteering and conservation volunteering. You will volunteer with kids in the local community, conduct wildlife research on Africa’s Big 5, and get involved with agroecology projects that empower the local community. This combination project offers you a diverse, meaningful, and rewarding way to experience the real South Africa!
This volunteer program is ideal for wildlife lovers, social change makers, and agroecology students
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU WILL GET TO:
- Be part of a team monitoring the movements and behavior of elephant herds, lion prides, elusive leopards, endangered rhino, and the always impressive buffalo
- Help with important conservation initiatives, such as creating new waterholes, removing alien plants, and conducting snare sweeps
- Assist in sustainable agriculture projects, creating water management systems, erosion and soil management, and the cultivation of native plant and tree species
- Participate in agroecology education sessions within the local community and schools
- Uplift schools by creating vegetable gardens to support vital feeding programs and income generation
- Live in our private lodge within the world-famous Greater Kruger Area
- Explore the Blyde River Canyon, take in the breathtaking Panorama Route, or add another stamp to your passport by visiting the intriguing landlocked country of Swaziland over your weekends
- Immerse yourself in the real South Africa, learning from her unique nature and rich cultural heritage
Fun & Travel
Go on Weekend Trips
Back at the lodge after a day’s excitement and hard work, you can relax at the pool, have a drink at the bar, watch a movie or enjoy a games night with other volunteers. Often we have presentations by guides and other staff members giving you an extra opportunity to learn more about the African environment and its inhabitants, both animal and human. Dinner is served in the boma weekly with a nice big fire, often followed by marshmallows! You can also have fun by getting involved in some fundraising events such as games and quiz nights.
Cultural presentations, achievement presentations, poaching debates, star-gazing and a presentation about our partners and The African Impact Foundation could be available for you to attend.
About the Destination
During your volunteer placement, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply to volunteer for a good cause, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. At weekends our team can help you organize day and over night trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay
- 3 meals a day cooked by a local chef (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Transport to and from project
- 24/7 support from experienced international and local staff
- Full orientation to ensure you contribute responsibly
- Project equipment and resources
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights (we can assist you with this)
- Medical or travel insurance (we can assist you with this)
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours not on the itinerary
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, and souvenirs
“I have felt so very grateful to be alive everyday that I have spent here. Admiring the beauty of the environment and wildlife and the love and laughter that I have shared in the community. I have also made some amazing friends from all around the world! Get ready for the most amazing experience of your life and don’t forget your torch!”
Angelina Farmer, UK
“I am concerned I may never find anywhere this beautiful again… I couldn’t think of a single reason not to come and no words could prepare you for the amazing adventure you are about to embark. You may arrive as a stranger but you will leave as part of the family.”
Rebecca Reece, UK