Set in Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve, you will have the unique opportunity to photograph a pride of African lions and their hunting behaviour as part of a worlds first lion release program. Make your impact on the future of the African lion.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Join African Impact (nominated for Africa’s Leading Conservation Company by the World Travel Awards), on our world’s first lion conservation project at Antelope Park
- Get up close and personal with African lions on a daily basis
- Take part in a once in a lifetime opportunity to photograph our pride of lions, due to be released into the wild for the first time ever!
- Become part of the pride as you walk alongside lions in the African bush and photograph them in their natural habitat playing and stalking prey
- Be part of a unique ‘lion encounter,’ photographing lions hunting and taking down prey after dark
- Leave with a huge photographic portfolio of Lions and other fantastic African wildlife to enhance your photography career
- Photograph and help care for our 4 rescued African Elephants
- Take advantage of optional excursions to see Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas, such as the Majestic Victoria Falls, going rhino Trekking in Matopos National Park, or taking a day trip to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
“The photography program was good because we got to do a variety of activities — game drives, research drives, carriage rides, horse safari, shooting the stars, lion walks, cub portraits, and more. Through creativity workshops, we went over the importance of composition, color, black and white, among other things. For anyone who loves photography, this is definitely a good program for getting good shots for your portfolio. There are very few other places where you can get so close to animals!”
Elissa Title, USA
“I had the most absolutely fantastic, life-changing 2 weeks. Every person involved with this organization are very professional, helpful, friendly and a pleasure to work with. Africa takes a piece of your heart… I could not have asked for a more special experience and YES, a part of my heart is now here and I know it will pull me back again someday! I highly recommend all likeminded people to experience what I have just done.”
Anita Key, Australia
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
Our project fee excludes:
- Camera equipment and laptop
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Ndinokumbirawo kuti muzvitaure futi. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
About the Destination
One of the highlights of this volunteer project is most definitely that you will be based at Antelope Park Private Game Reserve (Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2016), providing you with a full-time nature and wildlife experience throughout your stay.
Set in over 3,000 acres of open savannah grassland, you can expect to wake up to the distant sounds of lions roaring, and fall asleep to the sounds of African wildlife all around you.
Antelope Park is home to the world-famous African Lion and Environmental Research Trust (ALERT) lion rehabilitation program. It is Africa’s first authentic program working to ethically re-introduce the offspring of captive-bred African lions back into the wild.
Volunteers on all projects at Antelope Park will get to play a role in this ground-breaking program if they are interested in learning more about lion conservation.
Accommodations are a mixture of comfortable twin – or quad – thatched rooms at the reserve’s main camp, with clean showers and toilet facilities located close to the sleeping area. There are plenty of guest facilities also available to volunteers, including a beautiful swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and coffee shop/bar. All your meals, unless you happen to take a packed breakfast on a long lion walk, will be served at the main camp.
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Other Wildlife Photography
Work & Impacts
Fun & Travel
Go on Adventure Trips
Fun & Travel
Observe the Wildlife
Being based in Antelope Park gives you the opportunity to walk with and interact with lions and elephants, and ride through the wilderness on horseback and view the wildlife in the park. During the evening, an exclusive Night Encounter will give you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.
Fun & Travel
Soak up the Culture... and Relax!
Your volunteer experience will allow you to be submerged into a new cultural environment. In the surrounding area, you can visit some impressive ancient stone ruins called “Dzimbabwes”, and on lazy afternoons, you can relax on a sundowner cruise or do a bit of canoeing. Antelope Park also has stables with horses suitable for all levels of riders – enjoy a sunrise trail ride through the reserve or try your hand at polocrosse.
Fun & Travel
Evenings are a great time to relax after a hard day’s work and socialize with other volunteers and interns at the park. Movie nights, bonfire nights, fundraising events such as an African Culture night, trivia/quiz nights, table tennis, volleyball and football are all on offer. Antelope Park has a beautiful bar area and deck where you can view stunning African sunsets over the river.