Offer your teaching assistance to vulnerable children in the Limuru community in Kenya, many of whom are orphaned, affected by HIV/AIDS and developmentally challenged. Your extra special care and attention will help promote their development in under-staffed, impoverished schools.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Have fun – and spend one-on-one time – with vulnerable children in schools and other local facilities to aid their development and brighten their days
- Enjoy a varied week of volunteering, spending Monday to Thursday at your placement school and Friday at a facility for vulnerable children
- Make a huge difference to this under-privileged community
- Live in the beautiful Kenyan highlands, just outside of Nairobi
- Spend your free time exploring some of the world’s best safari parks, including the Maasai Mara Reserve
- During your free time, get up close and personal with wildlife at the Nairobi Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Center
About the Destination
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country, with much for a visitor to experience. It’s home to some of the world’s best safari locations and offers the most diverse and abundant game viewing opportunities, as well as being in the heart of the fascinating Maasai tribe community.
Your volunteer work will be based in the communities surrounding Limuru, just 30 miles from Nairobi in the lush, green, tea-growing highlands. The climate is warm and temperate and has stunning views over the Great Rift Valley below.
Your accommodation is based in the breath-taking surroundings of the Brackenhurst hotel lodge. It’s a lovely, green, secure and scenic place where you can enjoy recreational activities such as volleyball, tennis, nature walking trails through the forest, or just relaxing by the fire on a cold day at the café.
You will be living in a cosy private cottage on the grounds of the lodge with hot showers and a personal chef to cook all your meals. There is also Wi-Fi at the café if you need to get in touch with home.
To ensure continuity and consistency, you will be placed on one local project for your entire stay in Kenya. This increases the long-term impact of your work, establishes strong relationships and allows you to gauge those who have special needs and extra help.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay
- 3 meals a day cooked by a local chef (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Transport to and from project
- 24/7 support from experienced international and local staff
- Full orientation to ensure you contribute responsibly
- Project equipment and resources
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights (we can assist you with this)
- Medical or travel insurance (we can assist you with this)
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours not on the itinerary
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, and souvenirs
“The last few weeks I have been on the teaching project in Limuru. African Impact was a great support and I had a very special time at Hope School. I will take this experience with me for the rest of my life. Thanks for making it happen African Impact!”
“I think it has changed pretty much all my perspectives in life. But it has been a real eye opener to see how and what it means to be in the midst of poverty and actually experiencing to be with these people, and hearing and observing what issues and consequences poverty has. I am definitely feeling lucky living in Denmark and this whole experience has made me appreciate and value even the smallest thing!”