Join the African Impact team at one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, Victoria Falls, and work alongside local teachers in rural primary schools that are overwhelmed with children wanting to learn. This is an opportunity to give individual attention to children who really need it, gain some valuable teaching experience abroad and visit the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa with other international volunteers from around the world.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Directly support a local teacher by providing classroom assistance in a rural primary school
- Change a child’s life who is falling behind in their education by providing one-to-one attention that they otherwise would not receive
- Spend each afternoon on a different community project. Choose from different activities, including helping children to read, getting creative at Art Club, or even trying your hand at a building project
- Tick one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World off your bucket list, Victoria Falls
- Live and work in the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa, where you can bungee-jump, go white-water-rafting or take to the skies on a microlight flight
- See Africa’s most iconic wildlife on safari during your free time
About the Destination
Livingstone is a beautiful, rural town in Zambia that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for adventure enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. Whether you swim in ‘Devil’s Pool’, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi River, go on safari, or just enjoy a Zambian sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer!
As a volunteer in Zambia, you will be fully immersed in the community every day. Your mornings are focused on teaching while afternoons are spent on a variety of development projects that help uplift the community. Some of these include After School Care, Reading Club, Adult Literacy Class, and Life Skills workshops. This gives you a well-rounded experience and a chance to get involved in all parts of the community.
You’ll be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and vibey Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia. You will have access to a swimming pool, lounge, BBQ, and bar area. Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of cafes and restaurants serving local and international food. You won’t want to leave your “new home” as the staff will become your new family!
Each morning, you will work with one specific class, however throughout the week there is a wide range of community projects and involvement so volunteers get a taste of everything.
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
“My experience in this program was undeniably the greatest thing I have done in my life! The people I met were amazing, kind, helpful, and allowed me to have an unforgettable experience in Zambia. You immediately feel like part of the family when you start and it only gets better the longer you stay!”
Kelley Elise Costa, USA
“The last three weeks that I have spent in Livingstone have been some of the best of my life. It was a really incredible experience that I will never forget. Everyone at the project and all the people that I met in the community were so kind and welcoming, and I always felt supported and looked after. I really enjoyed the fact that the days were so full of activity and we had lots of opportunity to work closely with the local people. We had the choice to either try lots of different afternoon projects or to work on the same ones over the period of a few weeks, and I really felt like I was given the chance to get to know the students that I worked with and to try new things with them. I also really enjoyed events like the village tour, the cultural afternoon and the Walk to School fundraiser, which allowed us to see how the people we were working with live and to learn some of their customs. The atmosphere in the house was great and it was very easy to meet people and make friends. I will definitely be recommending the project to my friends and I’ll hopefully be back soon!”