Become a mentor and positive role model on this community outreach program for at risk youth in Cape Town, one of the ‘Top 10 Surf Cities in the World’. You will work with troubled youth and support them as they overcome the obstacles of poverty through surfing – a sport that is widely considered to be an effective form of therapy among at risk youth. You will also get to experience the best of Cape Town and see why it is one of the best cities in the world!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU WILL:
- Empower local youth who come from troubled backgrounds with life skills that will open up opportunities and help them achieve their future goals
- Encourage these young boys and girls to use surfing as a way to cope with their circumstances and overcome the obstacles associated with poverty
- Learn how to build your own surfboard and donate your creation to make an even greater contribution to this life-changing outreach program
- Educate youth on water safety and be a part of the solution to lower the rate of drownings in the area
About the Destination
Cape Town is an iconic city in South Africa that has received numerous awards over the years, including “Most Beautiful City in the World” and “Best Destination in Africa”. It is an iconic South African city that hums with activity throughout the year and offers endless opportunities for exciting new experiences.
During this outreach program, you will stay at our volunteer and intern house in Muizenberg, a beach side neighborhood known for its surfing subculture and easygoing atmosphere. Muizenberg is one of the most famous surf spots in Cape Town and home to a number of cafés, bars, and a Friday night market.
The house is safe, fully equipped, and located just 20 minutes from the city. During your free time, you can explore the rest of the city and surrounding areas. Go on a Cape Malay food tour in Bo-Kaap, paraglide off Lion’s Head, snorkel with seals, go on a safari, drink award-winning wine, or hike up Table Mountain.
Fun & Travel
Cape Town is a multicultural city with a number of neighborhoods that give you a glimpse into its unique cultures. Experience the vibey Afro-rhythms of Observatory, explore the colorful streets of Bo-Kaap, get a taste of Cape Dutch architecture and Afrikaans culture in Stellenbosch, or go on a street art tour in Woodstock or a township tour in Khayelitsha for a truly special experience.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by a local chef
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- 24/7 support from experienced international and local staff members
- Full orientation to ensure you contribute responsibly
- Project equipment and resources
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to and from Cape Town
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours that are not on the itinerary
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, or souvenirs