Travel to Zambia with your group and volunteer in the historic town of Livingstone, bordering the mighty Victoria Falls and Zambezi River. This 10-day high school trip encourages interaction, participation, and deeper understanding of the relevant questions and possible answers surrounding sports and development within an African context. While allowing time to explore the famous Victoria Falls, further afield rural locations and meeting the Big 5, high school students will be able to interact with teenagers of the same age and share experience and culture.
HIGHLIGHTS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THIS PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Living and volunteering in the vibrant tourist town of Livingstone, a stone’s throw from Victoria Falls
- Working with fellow group members and learning to plan, organize and develop team activities for sports groups
- Understanding how sports is beneficial to development in Zambia and getting insight into the Zambian education system
- Learning how to create and record assessments, to evaluate the work carried out, measuring success and effectively planning future activities
- Exploring how to communicate productively when English is not the primary language and can be a barrier to communication
- Gaining confidence and understanding as a Global Citizen
- Experiencing the varied and colorful Zambian culture, through language, food and music
- Exploring Victoria Falls and visiting an iconic local wildlife area
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer!
Few places in Africa offer what Livingstone so effortlessly achieves. The popular tourist town is well-established with a host of restaurants and amenities, and surrounded by rich wildlife areas that offer incredible opportunities for both driving and walking safaris, where visitors will be treated to seeing rhino, giraffe scores of elephant and more. Bordering a vast stretch of the Zambezi, Livingstone is also the ideal location to enjoy relaxed boat cruises along the picturesque waterways.
Your group will be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers, and will receive all meals throughout the duration of the project, excluding free days. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, lounge, BBQ and bar area. Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of cafes and restaurants.
Cultural Exchange, Fun & Travel
What else is included in the itinerary?
Throughout your 10-day itinerary, your high school group would be able to:
- Exchange ideas and engage with students of the same age to promote cross-cultural learning
- Join a cycling tour of the local township and meet with school principal to discuss the issues of lack of sport and educational facilities
- Enjoy a cultural evening with traditional food and drumming
- Meet with local school students of the same age and share on prepared stories from home in an exchange of learning
- Cruise along the Zambezi River on a sunset boat trip
- Go on a 2-day trip to Chobe National Park, camping overnight and enjoying safari drives by boat and vehicle
- Celebrate over dinner and receiving plenty of time for reflection
Dates & Rates
Dates: Available from February to November Only
The standard program fee includes (additional cultural activities and tours can be added as extra):
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the Livingstone Backpackers, in a private section
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (with the exception of free days)
- Participants will be collected from the airport upon arrival and transferred to base
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
The program fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity (these can be added and arranged prior to arrival)
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!