Creating a culture of entrepreneurship changes lives by stimulating economic growth and development. This is especially vital in developing countries where unemployment is often catastrophically high. This internship in the Greater Kruger Region of South Africa looks to support and incubate local entrepreneurs, helping them learn and ultimately establish small to medium business start-ups. When successful, their innovation creates job growth and improves standards of living.
AS AN INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Get to know, understand and gain an appreciation of the African business landscape and the complexities faced by local entrepreneurs
- Work side-by-side with community members in various aspects of their economic development. In partnership with our innovative Farmers of the Future initiative, spend time working in the gardens, helping develop efficient and profitable outputs
- Theoretical skills can be learnt in a classroom, but practical business education cements and develops this learning. Here we combine the two simultaneously to give the essential tools to get started
- Be supported by a Personal Development Coach and Academic Trainer to acquire and develop new skills
- Live and work in one of the most beautiful regions of South Africa, surrounded by private game reserves and Africa’ most iconic wildlife
About the Destination
During your internship, you will stay at our program base within the Greater Kruger Area – a spacious thatched lodge boasting a large swimming pool and situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialize. We don’t know of a better place to sit around a campfire and admire the stars!
The nearest town is Hoedspruit, a 30-minute drive from our lodge, where we do a weekly town trip on Fridays to visit the supermarkets and souvenir shops. You can spend your free time enjoying the incredible excursions on offer in this part of the world; game drives through the world-famous Kruger National Park, kloofing, taking to the skies on a microlight, or perhaps enjoying a weekend trip in Swaziland.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply a career-break, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. When the weekends swing around, our team can help you organize day and overnight trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
You will join us in the Limpopo region which, due to a lack of education and positive motivation, has the highest unemployment rate in South Africa. Working in a results-driven environment, you will learn about establishing and running businesses in the varied and challenging African economic landscape.
Fun & Travel
Go on Weekend Trips
In your time off (Saturdays and Sundays), you can go on exciting excursions to beautiful locations. You’ll be staying on the doorstep of the Blyde River Canyon and can visit the Kruger National Park, go on a microlight or white river rafting, jump into waterholes while extreme hiking or why not visit another country whilst here and head to Swaziland for the weekend! No matter which you chose you will find lots of amazing photo opportunities!
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact intern home in the African bush – a cozy, safe and relaxed lodge shared by our interns, volunteers and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full orientation, training and guidance from our team
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back something while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns and volunteers. Win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while also providing valuable, practical work experience for you (if you’re asked to make a cup of coffee, a refund is heading your way). Intern support is essential for growing, developing and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring and academic training.