Launch your career as a professional field guide with the most in-depth Field Guide of Southern Africa (FGASA) courses available. Travel to the heart of South Africa’s wilderness and join the ranks of the best-trained field guides in the industry.
- The most in-depth FGASA courses available
- Expertly trained staff
- 23 and 50-week options
- Incredible free time activities available
- Comprehensive 24/7 support
- If you reach the criteria you will become a qualified FGASA level one guide.
- Join like-minded people, all learning together and having a great time whilst developing your bush skills.
“Unforgettable 6 months, during which, getting FGASA Level 1, was only one of many things I loved. Being immersed 24/7 in the bush, is the best way to get to know it. I have learnt to see, hear and smell things I hadn’t noticed before, realising the Big 5 are only a tiny piece of an amazing net of beings. Nothing better than sharing this with the beautiful people I was lucky to do so!” Angele Rouillard, Professional Guide
“This is a professional organisation, committed to the welfare of its students and to ensuring that they enter the safari industry with the correct qualifications, a high level of knowledge and strong guiding ethics.” Kate Nelson, General Manager At Jabulani, Relais And Chateaux
Dates & Rates
- Return transport from Hoedspruit
- All accommodation and meals during course-time
- Internet access (limited)
- 2 sets of uniform, including t-shirt, jacket, cap and beanie
- 24-hour support
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- All necessary course training
- Medical and travel insurance
- Return flights to Hoedspruit
- Any visa-related fees
- Personal kit
- Additional drinks and gratuities
- Laundry, food and transport during weeks off
- Recommended reference books
- Professional drivers permit and licensing costs, including transportation.
- Weekend trips and other non-course activities
Course-related items included in the price:
- FGASA National Certificate – Level 1 – Practical and Theory
- NQF Level 2
- FGASA Level 2 knowledge
- National Level 1 First Aid Certificate and Wilderness Modules
- Cybertracker Track and Sign Qualification
- Cybertracker Trailing Level 1 Qualification
- Dangerous game experience
- SASSETA (Rifle handling, proficiency, maintaining of fire arms and shooting)
- CATHSSETA National Qualification in Nature Guiding Level 2
- 4×4 Driving Qualification
- Wildlife Photography Workshop
- Specialist Birding Course
- Reptile Orientation Course
- All compulsory books
About the Destination
We operate from a stunning bush campus in the Limpopo Province of South Africa, Mahlahla.
Students based at the Mahlahla Bush Campus will carry out their practical training on Makalali Private Game Reserve, a spectacular 26,000ha Big five wilderness reserve in the Limpopo province.
Other featured reserves include Pidwa Wildnerness Reserve and the beautiful Makutsi Reserve. The Greater Makalali Private Game Reserve (GMPGR) is situated west of Kruger National Park and promises intimate wildlife encounters and an ideal training ground with lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo and other characteristic species are cheetah, hyena, giraffe, zebra and kudu.
The Mahlahla Bush Campus is approximately a 50 minute drive from Hoedspruit.
The Level #1 course is structured to give you a balance of theoretical and practical know-how. While your time with us is structured, you can be assured that no two days are the same! If you’re prepared to work hard, this experience can change your life forever and you will leave a professional, qualified wildlife guide ready to run game drives and experiences in Big 5 reserves in Southern Africa.
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Fun & Travel
In Your Spare Time
Fun & Travel
- Blyde River Canyon – boat trips, kloofing, hiking, paintball, hot air ballooning and camping are just some of the activities on offer here
- Kruger National Park daytrips/overnight camping available
- Moholoholo Rehab Centre – endangered species rehabilitation
- Panorama Route – Bourke’s Luck potholes, God’s Window and myriad waterfalls are just some of what awaits you – all of which can be done in a day!
- Giant Baobab Tree/Upside Down Restaurant
- Debengeni Falls, Tzaneen with picnic area and hiking trails