Join our research team in the Greater Kruger Area to gain professional experience on a conservation-driven research initiative that is protecting Africa’s wildlife. This unique personal development opportunity will allow you to support research on some of South Africa’s most elusive and at-risk predators in world-class Big 5 game reserves.
AS AN INTERN, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Gain in-depth practical experience in wildlife research methods, including wildlife and habitat mapping
- Analyze raw data and help turn it into useful reports for land and wildlife management
- Get involved in camera-trap surveys and updating databases
- Learn how to use key research software
- Learn about conservation issues in South Africa and about the role of predators in an ecosystem
- Be supported by our Internship Mentor and Professional Development Coach to help you realize and achieve your objectives
- Live in one of the most beautiful areas of South Africa, only a short distance from the Kruger National Park
- Work alongside a team of experts, volunteers and local people
“African Impact was nothing like I expected it to be, but that’s what made it so special. I never expected to become a part of a family that consisted of volunteers and staff from around the world. I never expected to gain an in-depth understanding for African wildlife and to be able to actively apply this new knowledge as I was out in the bush collecting data. I never expected to have such astonishing sightings of the diverse wildlife. And most of all, I never expected to understand and observe the impact research can have on African wildlife.”
Ali Weaver, USA
“I feel privileged to have been able to do the things I have done, the research work is so important and so to be able to contribute is amazing. I loved every minute of the game drives and the other research based work. It also has been incredible to have been involved with the community projects, as I felt this was very rewarding. Not only was the work aspect great, but so was the lodge itself and the staff within it. The staff at every level were amazing, some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.”
Liam Hicks, UK
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact intern home in the African bush – a cozy, safe and relaxed lodge shared by our interns, volunteers and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Mentorship from our research manager
- Full orientation, training and guidance from our team
- Training in the basics of programs, such as Google Earth Pro and qGIS
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back something while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns and volunteers. Win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while also providing valuable, practical work experience for you (if you’re asked to make a cup of coffee, a refund is heading your way). Intern support is essential for growing, developing and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring and academic training.
About the Destination
During your internship, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply a career-break, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. At weekends our team can help you organise day and over night trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
Work & Impacts
Data Collection And Analysis
Work & Impacts
Camera Traps And Focal Project
Work & Impacts
Conservation And Education
Work & Impacts
Presentations And Mentor Ship
Fun & Travel
Fun & Travel
Go On Weekend Trips
In your time off (Saturdays and Sundays), you can go on exciting excursions to beautiful locations. You’ll be staying on the doorstep of the Blyde River Canyon and can visit the Kruger National Park, go on a microlight or white river rafting, jump into waterholes while extreme hiking or why not visit another country whilst here and head to Swaziland for the weekend! No matter which you chose you will find lots of amazing photo opportunities!