Join our creative experts in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa to gain practical experience in wildlife and other genre-specific photography. This is a unique personal and professional development opportunity that sees interns supporting wildlife conservation initiatives through the medium of photography.
AS AN INTERN, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Work alongside a professional photographer to enhance and develop your photographic skills
- Build an incredible portfolio that will showcase your talent for wildlife and other genre-specific photography
- Use your photographs to increase awareness of conservation and other local and global issues
- Gain experience in pre-visualisation, production and editing of photographs
- Be supported by a Personal Development Coach to ensure you realize and achieve your objectives
- Live in one of the most beautiful areas of South Africa, near the Greater Kruger National Park
- Work alongside a team of experts, local people and volunteers
About the Destination
During your internship, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply a career-break, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. At weekends our team can help you organise day and over night trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
Fun & Travel
Go on Weekend Trips
In your time off (Saturdays and Sundays), you can go on exciting excursions to beautiful locations. You’ll be staying on the doorstep of the Blyde River Canyon and can visit the Kruger National Park, go on a microlight or white river rafting, jump into waterholes while extreme hiking or why not visit another country whilst here and head to Swaziland for the weekend! No matter which you chose you will find lots of amazing photo opportunities!
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact intern home in the African bush – a cozy, safe and relaxed lodge shared by our interns, volunteers and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentorship from a professional photographer
Our internship fee excludes:
- Camera and laptop
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back something while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns and volunteers. Win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while also providing valuable, practical work experience for you (if you’re asked to make a cup of coffee, a refund is heading your way). Intern support is essential for growing, developing and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring and academic training.
“I found the photography course perfectly in line with what I wanted and expected, it was fantastic to be pushed to experiment and adapt new styles to experiment with. Not only do I feel as if I’m leaving as a better photographer, but above all that I feel as if I made a difference (or rather, an impact) and it’s that feeling that makes me want to come back ASAP for longer.”
Sam Cox, UK
“This has been a once in a lifetime experience. I came to the project knowing far less than I even thought about both my camera and the art of photography, but the team have taught, encouraged and pushed my boundaries. The difference between the photos I produced at the start of the trip, to the photos I have produced in the final week, are almost incomparable as I have improved so much.”
Sophie Brown, UK