For those who are studying or qualified in a medical or healthcare field, this customized internship will provide you with unparalleled access to a range of hospitals or clinics in the rural region of Limuru, Kenya. With exposure to departments such as obstetrics, gynecology, ICU, HIV/AIDS counseling and care, emergency, radiology/imaging, critical care, orthopedics, oncology, general wards, anesthesiology, and even operation theaters, you’ll gain knowledge and expertise from the doctors and nurses you work alongside daily.
Book now and receive 10% off your project fee if you volunteer with us anytime throughout May 2019
AS AN INTERN, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Customize your internship placement, ensuring you get exposure to hospital or clinic departments that are relevant to your studies or skills
- Expand upon your current medical knowledge through practical experience
- Work alongside qualified doctors and nurses who are available to answer your questions and involve you in their daily workload
- Learn about a healthcare system with very different practices, resources, and conditions from that of your home country
- Choose to also be involved in community outreach, facilitating health workshops, and home-based care in rural Kenyan villages
- Gain experience in how to treat prevalent illnesses and diseases within Kenya, including malaria, dengue fever, cholera, malnutrition, and tuberculosis
- Be guided and mentored by healthcare professionals and receive access to a personal development coach. They support you with tools to use throughout your experience and beyond, and help you explore personal goals and opportunities for your future
- Live and work in a beautiful rural region of Kenya, on the rolling green hillsides of Limuru
About the Destination
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country, with much for a visitor to experience. It’s home to some of the best safari experiences in Africa, landscapes that range from volcanic mountains and green valleys to tropical beaches, and some of the most fascinating cultures in the world.
Your internship placement will take place in one of the hospitals or clinics surrounding the communities of Limuru, 30 miles from Nairobi in the lush tea-growing highlands. The climate is warm and temperate and has stunning views over the Great Rift Valley below.
Your accommodation is based in the Brackenhurst hotel and eco destination. It’s a safe and scenic place where you can enjoy activities such as volleyball, tennis, nature walking trails, or just taking it easy against a gorgeous backdrop.
You will be living in a cosy private cottage on the grounds of the lodge with hot showers and a personal chef to cook all your meals. There is also WiFi in the café if you want to connect with friends and family back home.
Dates & Rates
10% off the prices below if you book your placement over May 2019. This includes if you arrive in April and leave in May 2019.
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation at Brackenhurst in Limuru – a cozy, safe, and private hotel complex shared by our volunteers, interns, and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (Monday to Friday only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Orientation program, including a security briefing and introduction to Kenya
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field, including weekly check-ins with a qualified doctor
- Transport to and from your internship placement
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related fees. African Impact will assist in providing all of the relevant information required to arrange your visa, but it will be your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary visa for Kenya.
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, snacks, drinks, and clothing
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back to the local community while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns, and volunteers. It’s a win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while gaining valuable, practical work experience. Intern support is essential for growing, developing, and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring, and academic training.
“Living in Africa has changed my perspective in so many ways. I am so appreciative of the opportunities I have back home. Kenyans have also taught me that material things don’t make you happy, it’s the love and support of your community that make you happy. Some highlights of the time I spent in Kenya was working with the children at the school and getting to assist in maternity at Tigoni hospital; I would recommend African Impact to anyone.”
Morgan Harbick, USA
“The nurses and doctors at the hospital are always willing to answer any questions you have and to include you in any procedure, including observation of caesarian sections and administration of vaccinations. I have learnt so much about the health care system in Kenya, as well as the easy-going culture amongst the Kenyan people. The African Impact team here are so accommodating and are lovely people. I hope to visit again soon!”
Alex W, Australia