Whether you’re a pre-med student, qualified professional or someone interested in healthcare, join the African Impact team on this meaningful volunteer program in the heart of Zambia. In a community where medical resources are scarce and access to healthcare limited, bring awareness and guidance to the local people. Take part in home based care, clinic support, health talks and HIV education workshops as you truly make an impact for those living in traditional rural villages.
THIS PROJECT IS OPEN OVER CHRISTMAS 2018 BUT MAY LOOK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Gain valuable healthcare experience in a variety of departments whilst assisting in medical clinics
- Support community members suffering from illness and disease by accompanying local caregivers to their rural homes, and provide advice and treatment
- Participate in health talks held at schools, training centers and support groups that encourage healthy lifestyle choices and preventative healthcare measures
- Provide HIV education initiatives that provide awareness and promote a positive statement
- Visit the mighty Victoria Falls and see Africa’s most iconic wildlife on safari during your free time
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors. Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer! Don’t worry, you will certainly not miss out on wildlife. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
As Livingstone volunteer, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day. Your mornings are focused on the project you select – medical, sports, teaching, environment, gender empowerment or building. What makes being a Livingstone community volunteer so unique and different than any other project is that you are able to experience so many different activities because every afternoon is different. You will join in a variety of activities that help uplift the community including After School Club, Reading Club, Math Club, Art Club, Maramba Old People’s Home, Linda Farm, Adult Literacy Club, Life Skills workshops and more! This gives you a well-rounded experience and exposes you to all parts of the community.
You’ll be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well! Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants.
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Livingstone Backpackers, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Akabangilile, kaumine ipulu. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“Working with African Impact was one of the best decisions that I could have made! It was so cool to experience Africa from the viewpoint of a medical volunteer. Going into the villages and meeting people in personal situations made the whole experience much more meaningful. African Impact is a great organization to work with and they are so willing to work with you to help you have the best experience possible.”
“I loved the time I spent in Livingstone with African Impact. I found African Impact online, travelled alone and was unsure about what the experience would be like, but it ended up being the best month of my life! I volunteered on the medical project and as a nursing student, I got to see so many things that I would never see back home! 10/10 recommend”