Our long-standing presence in Moshi has seen us successfully working with locals to generate entrepreneurial opportunities that tackle the high unemployment rate in Tanzania. We understand that driving prosperity through small business growth is the way forward to change. During this internship at the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro, you will engage with the community to explore opportunities for economic growth and develop business models that will grow into sustainable enterprises. The experience you gain will underpin your future career and create real change in the local community.
AS AN INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Empower locals with the entrepreneurial skills they need to create business opportunities that will contribute to socio-economic development and significantly transform their lives.
- Expand your theoretical knowledge and gain practical experience in developing and implementing long lasting and sustainable solutions for pertinent issues.
- Set goals and track your growth and learning through regular assessments and evaluations with our on-site mentors who are dedicated to helping you realize and achieve your objectives.
- Be part of consulting with local community members and learning about the community assets and how to develop them, while unraveling the issues that prohibit growth.
- Gain insight and understanding into the business landscape of East Africa and the challenges faced by local entrepreneurs.
- Map the entrepreneurial scene in a semi-rural area while learning about a new culture, new model for work ethic, and the social economic behavior of development in an African context.
- Be mentored and supported by an experienced team and highly qualified Personal Development Coach throughout your internship and gain invaluable knowledge and skills that will set a strong foundation for your future career.
- Live and work at the foothills of one of the most iconic mountains in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro, while being immersed in the unique culture of Tanzania.
About the Destination
Moshi is the gateway to Mount Kilimanjaro, legendary national parks, and the unique tribes of Tanzania. During your stay in Moshi you will develop valuable skills, make new friends, and gain an intimate understanding of the people and culture of the country. You will also be on the doorstep of the famous Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater, which will give you a chance to immerse yourself in the beauty of the region and some of the most memorable wildlife experiences in Africa.
During your stay in Moshi, you will encounter charismatic herbalist medicine men selling multicolored powders and concoctions for an array of ailments, smiling bibis (older women) selling fruit in all the colors of the rainbow, and everything from cobblers and barbers to butchers and bakers. A stroll through the streets is one of the best ways to experience the buzz of this humble little mountain town and meet locals who will show you why Tanzanians are famous for their friendliness.
The food in Tanzania is a feast for the senses and will be a major highlight during your stay in Moshi. The local Swahili cuisine will tempt you with strange and wonderful dishes and delicacies and the music that fills the streets will introduce you to the soul of Africa. And when you are ready to wind down, your home is an exclusive, fully furnished volunteer house just outside of Moshi that is safe and has everything you need to be comfortable during your internship in Tanzania.
Work & Impacts
Business Concept Development
You will contribute to community development and work towards UN Sustainable Goals 1 and 8 by identifying and harnessing existing community assets; creating sustainable solutions for key needs the community has identified; expanding existing entrepreneurial groups and business models; working closely with aspiring entrepreneurs to develop their ideas with skills sharing and soft skills development; engaging with local businesses to establish new markets for entrepreneurs; and empowering sustainable businesses. Many of these methodologies and practices are used on a global scale.
Project Management & Business Analysis
During your internship, you will identify an individual project or need to focus on and manage the development of that project during your placement. You can choose a program with emphasis on language and education, the gender income gap, or enhancing cultural contributions to business. You will take a leadership role and link existing skills to a viable entrepreneurial model, create new targets and goals around the project, develop curriculums and strategic plans, and create further awareness around the impacts of the project through PR and the media. With guidance, you will monitor progress and challenges, collect data on impacts and achievements, and test results.
Working in Tanzania will give you international experience that will add a new dimension to your CV. You will work alongside interns and volunteers from all walks of life and be exposed to the cultures and traditions of the Kilimanjaro region, particularly those of the Chaga, Pare, and Maasai tribes. Language and culture lessons from our local staff members will create a strong foundation for cultural exchange, while helping to facilitate forums and activities with community members and creating new local and international networks and partnerships for long term stability will strengthen that exchange.
Throughout your placement, you will be mentored by a senior member of the African Impact team who will add context to your specific interests within this field and a highly qualified Personal Development Coach who will support you with tools to use throughout your experience and beyond.
Fun & Travel
Tanzania is home to some of the world’s most famous national parks, perfect for spotting the Big 5 of African wildlife. One of the highlights of an African safari is to experience the annual migration of an estimated two million wildebeest (joined by hundreds of thousands of zebra and Thomson’s gazelles) across the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Maasai Mara in Kenya. You can view this spectacular seasonal event by land, air or both!
Hiking and waterfalls
Tanzania is one of the most beautiful countries in Africa and home to some truly spectacular waterfalls and Mount Kilimanjaro. Brave the journey to its peak, opt for a day hike to one of the base camps, or head to Marangu Falls and Materuni Falls for a lush hike with a gorgeous cascading end.
Coffee and cultural tours
Meet local tribes
Taste of Tanzania
Kikuletwa Hot Springs
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact home in the village of Mdawi – a cozy, safe and lively house shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back something while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns and volunteers. Win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while also providing valuable, practical work experience for you (if you’re asked to make a cup of coffee, a refund is heading your way). Intern support is essential for growing, developing and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring and academic training.