The South African Constitution is one of the most progressive in Africa, but a number of socio-economic factors mean a large portion of the population experience, or are vulnerable to, human rights violations. This human rights internship in South Africa gives you a chance to work alongside NGOs and human rights organizations as they provide services to victims of human rights violations and influence the implementation of human rights.
AS AN INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Work directly with NGOs and other human rights organizations in Cape Town who are committed to research, awareness, and advocacy of human rights in South Africa. These organizations are particularly focused on disadvantaged and marginalized people and communities
- Develop your personal and professional knowledge and skills while working with an organization that suits your goals and interests, such as a women’s shelter, refugee center, or an organization that works with ex-offenders
- Gain experience working directly with NGOs and organizations and learning the ins and outs of human rights issues, human rights laws, and the inner workings of these organizations
- Be supported and mentored by a qualified and experienced lawyer, humans rights advocate, and program coordinator throughout your internship to ensure you achieve your goals
- Participate in weekly group discussions about human rights issues in South Africa to challenge you and provide more in-depth context to your internship placement
- Have a fully immersive schedule that is carefully curated, professional, and challenging
- Partake in scheduled outings and activities with other international interns during your stay
About the Destination
Cape Town’s vibrant atmosphere will get your journey off to an exciting start as you experience the multicultural cuisine, fascinating history, and unparalleled scenery. During your placement on this internship in Africa, you will be located in a popular area of Cape Town called Observatory.
Observatory has a unique bohemian atmosphere and is about 4 miles from the city. Observatory is home to a number of interesting restaurants, bars, and live music venues. Your accommodation is situated in the heart of this neighborhood near nightlife and public transport.
There are three housing options which vary in style, but the general atmosphere of the housing is friendly and social. You will have your own private, furnished bedroom, but the bathroom, lounge, and kitchen are communal. You can cook your own meals or opt for prepared meals at an extra cost.
Fun & Travel
Cape Town is a melting pot of cultures that will captivate you with its color and unique charm. Take a cooking class in the Bo-Kaap, a historic Cape Malay neighborhood bursting at the seams with flavor. Head out to the winelands to experience Cape Dutch architecture and immerse yourself in Afrikaans culture. Or experience the musical soul of black South Africans on a jazz safari through a township.
When it comes to adventure, Cape Town is known for its extreme, sometimes outrageous, activities. Daredevils can satisfy their itch for adventure by soaring over the city on a paragliding or skydiving trip. For something a little less intense, snorkeling with seals, kayaking alongside dolphins, and surfing are classic Cape Town adventures. And for the less daring, horse riding on the beach, canopy tours, and hiking are great ways to see the city and get your blood pumping.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Internship placement
- All ground transfers to and from Cape Town International Airport (arrival and departure)
- Comprehensive orientation and tour of Cape Town
- Weekly Xhosa language lessons
- Weekly activities and excursions
- 24-hour emergency support
- Internship support and mentorship
Our internship fee excludes:
- Accommodation and meals (this can be included for you)
- All items of a personal nature
- Flights to and from Cape Town International Airport
- Transport to and from your internship placement
- Emails and telephone calls made during your placement
- Any excursions not in your planned itinerary
- A $250 refundable deposit for accommodation, payable on arrival should you choose to stay at internship housing
- All tenants in Rent-a-Room properties will need to pay a non-refundable lease fee of $100
- $10 electricity fee per month if you stay in internship housing