During this internship, you will be placed with one of African Impact’s partners, a renowned public hospital in South Africa. As part of the medical department team at Victoria Hospital, this unique opportunity will see you working side-by-side qualified healthcare professionals, gaining first-hand experience and knowledge about South Africa’s public healthcare system. Through this, you’ll be equipped with a wide range of skills and knowledge that will further your career.
If you are considering a career in nursing, medicine, global health or hospital administration – this is the right internship for you.
WHILE INTERNING AT VICTORIA HOSPITAL, YOU WILL:
- Receive exposure to a clinical environment and add value to a medical facility
- Accompany doctors on their morning rounds in a department that aligns with your own professional interests
- Synthesize and apply knowledge in the core areas of clinical health, as you work towards the universal goal of physical, emotional and mental well-being for all members of society
- Investigate the role of preventive interventions and treatments such as education programs against non-communicable diseases, and help implement these
- Secure clinical hours and participate in regular meetings with the doctors from this teaching hospital to discuss your progress and implementation of your own project looking to improve healthcare at this facility
- Be supported by a highly-experienced Personal Development Coach and Academic Trainer to acquire and develop new skills
- Live and work in Cape Town, officially the most beautiful city in the world
- Spend your weekends exploring everything this amazing destination has to offer, including Table Mountain, Robben Island, stunning beaches, eclectic restaurants, and endless adventure activities
About the Destination
Cape Town is an internationally renowned destination and has something for everyone. The Mother City is home to iconic Table Mountain, beautiful beaches, stunning vineyards and people that will leave your heart fuller. Enjoy some of the most scenic drives it the world, a beautiful mountain backdrop, spot stunning marine life and sample some of the eclectic restaurants and markets which has seen Cape Town recently been named the No. 1 Food City in the World! Plus, you have the Garden Route on your doorstep!
You will be staying in a fully furnished house situated in Muizenberg, just 3 minutes away from the beach. This area is one of the major tourism attractions in Cape Town and a surfer’s paradise.
The area is filled with vibey bars, cafes, and amazing restaurants, and you’ll be based just opposite a major grocery store for you to do extra shopping should you need. The accommodation is a cozy, safe home that boasts a central lounge and dining area, a living room with some comfortable couches for socializing and relaxing, preparing for your next day or chatting with fellow interns, as well as a spacious backyard in the sun to relax, or to enjoy a South African Braai. It is the perfect base from which to explore this incredible city. African Impact supports you in full during your internship and you’ll get all your accommodation, meals, daily transportation and project support 24/7 so you can focus on your internship goals and get the professional experience you are looking for.
Close by to your internship accommodation is Victoria Hospital, South Africa’s second oldest hospital (1889) and one of the country’s most renowned, given it has implemented, developed and created world-class initiatives and techniques in healthcare that have been copied and replicated all over the country. It is also the only public hospital in this region of Cape Town, meaning it has to cater to a population of 800,000 people, most of which come from extremely underprivileged communities. There are wide disparities in South Africa’s healthcare system, where public hospitals like Victoria Hospital have to care for 80% of the population with only 40% of the available resources.
You will spend between 2 to 6 months living at African Impact’s program base in Muizenberg, Cape Town; a sociable shared home with other interns and volunteers. From here you will travel daily to Victoria Hospital, where you will work alongside highly qualified professionals who will eagerly share their wealth of knowledge with you.
Fun & Travel
You can hike up the magnificent Table Mountain, or take the cable car to the top. Once you’ve soaked in the breath-taking view, you can choose to abseil your way down. Surfing lessons, shark cage diving and sky-diving are also on many tourists’ “bucket lists”, and Cape Town’s mountain ranges make for great mountain-biking too.
Beach and Ocean Adventures
Although the water may be just a little cold, Cape Town has plenty of beautiful beaches to visit, each with its own unique atmosphere. If you are really keen to explore the waters you can dive with the sharks or take a tour to Cape Point Peninsula where you will have a chance to swim with the penguins at Boulders Beach.
Cape Town has many iconic sites which makes for great photograph opportunities. Take a boat trip to Seal Island, visit the celebrated Robben Island and of stand on top of the world-renowned Table Mountain, reaching it either by foot or cable car. A convenient and fun way to see more of what the city has to offer is to take the Hop-on, Hop-off City Tour bus. You will also have a chance to do some shopping and enjoy fine dining at the V&A Waterfront or at one of the many local food markets.
Cape Town has something for everyone. If you’re not really a city slicker and prefer to discover what nature has to offer, you can experience an African Safari at Aquila Safari – a “Big 5” private game reserve with animals such as the springbok, lion, cape porcupine, olive baboon, leopard, and African elephant.
The Cape Point at the tip of the Cape Peninsula lies within a nature reserve within the Table Mountain National Park which is a World Heritage Site. Cape Point is a nature enthusiast’s paradise with many buck, baboons, Cape Mountain Zebras, birds and a variety of flora and fauna unique to the area.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact intern home in Cape Town – a cozy, safe and lively house shared by our interns, volunteers and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field
- Transport to and from your internship placement
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
Why do an internship with African Impact?
You will work directly within your chosen field, side-by-side an African Impact project, most of which have been running for over a decade. This means that you get to give back something while learning new skills, and live with our team of staff, interns and volunteers. Win-win.
Provide our local community partners direct support they would otherwise not receive, while also providing valuable, practical work experience for you (if you’re asked to make a cup of coffee, a refund is heading your way). Intern support is essential for growing, developing and monitoring our projects’ impact.
Gain deeper insight into your chosen field within the context of community development or conservation in Africa. This provides a truly unique and extraordinary way to enhance your resume.
Be guided and supported 24/7 by highly professional and experienced teams on the ground, as well as from the wider African Impact team. Welcome to next-level interning, where you will receive 3 individual mentors for personal development coaching, professional development mentoring and academic training.