Join a unique and intimate team of horse experts and learn everything there is to know about stable management in authentic African stables, exploring the bush daily by horseback and spotting wildlife. Living in a beautiful game reserve in the heart of Zimbabwe, you will also contribute to the conservation of the African lion.
AS AN INTERN, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Gain valuable experience in holistic horse management while exploring the African bush on horseback
- Learn to guide horserides, play polocrosse and showjump while living in the game reserve
- Work with over 40 horses ranging from thoroughbreds to crossbreeds
- Contribute to the world’s first lion release program at Antelope Park
- Become part of the pride as you walk alongside lions in the African bush and witness them in their natural habitat playing and stalking prey
- Witness lions hunting after dark – a once in a life time opportunity!
- Camp out under the stars on overnight horseback safaris
- Interact and help care for our 4 rescued African Elephants
- Take advantage of optional excursions to see Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas, such as the majestic Victoria Falls, going rhino trekking in Matobo National Park, or taking a day trip to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
“I had a really great experience while I was here and got to meet a lot of new people. Everything at the stables was very orderly and nice, which made learning my way around the horses a lot easier! I liked the fact that every two weeks we get a group of new volunteers because it was fun getting to know so many different types of people and from so many countries. This has broadened my horizons by quite a bit. One of my other favorite memories was the overnight horse safari, I got to participate in that twice. We got to sleep out under the stars while having a fire burning all night and a private chef. Every memory I’ve made here will be unforgettable and I hope to get a chance to come back!” – Clare Swaney, USA
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
About the Destination
As a volunteer in Africa you will be based in the amazing Antelope Park Game Reserve set in over 3000 acres of open savannah grassland. You will experience many wildlife encounters, enjoy canoeing on the scenic lake and during the evening, you can go on a Night Safari offering you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.
The Volunteer Village provides a great place to relax with opportunity to use guest facilities such as the swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and bar/coffee shop. The accommodation is clean and comfortable with good showers and toilet facilities. You will receive three amazing meals a day served buffet style. Breakfast and dinner are served at the main camp of the reserve and you will be given a delicious packed lunch for your working day.
Wind down at the end of a long day with a nightcap around the fire pit chatting to other volunteers and guests at the park.
Antelope Park will not only leave you with memories that will last a lifetime, but also with the knowledge that you have personally contributed to conservation and protection of Africa’s amazing wildlife.
Work & Impacts
Horse Management Program
Work & Impacts
Work & Impacts
Fun & Travel
Visiting the Victoria Falls during your stay in Zimbabwe is a must! You will be mesmerized by the sheer volume of water and the magnificent display of nature. We facilitate group trips to Vic Falls where you can unleash your inner adrenaline junkie and do some bungee jumping, river-rafting, zip-lining or abseiling.
Fun & Travel
Observe the Wildlife
Being based in Antelope Park gives you the opportunity to walk with and interact with lions and elephants, and ride through the wilderness on horseback and view the wildlife in the park. During the evening, an exclusive Night Encounter will give you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.