The only program of its kind in Africa. Travel to the heart of the Zimbabwean bush where you will work on a unique project to protect the future of Africa’s lions. Become a member of the pride as you walk alongside the majestic cats, learning about lion behavior and carrying out key research activities.
GoAbroad.com’s Top Rated Volunteer Program 2017 and 2016
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Participate in a volunteer project named as one of GoAbroad.com’s Top Rated Volunteer Programs 2016!
- Enjoy hands-on work and extremely close encounters with African lions
- Become part of the pride as you walk alongside lions in the African bush and witness them in their natural habitat playing and stalking prey
- Witness a ‘night encounter,’ lions hunting after dark – a once in a life time opportunity!
- Camp out under the stars on overnight horseback safaris
- Interact and help care for our 4 rescued African Elephants
- Take advantage of optional excursions to see Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas, such as the Majestic Victoria Falls, going rhino trekking in Matopos National Park, or taking a day trip to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
- Make friends for life with other international volunteers along the way!
About the Destination
There is something very special about waking up to the distant sounds of lions roaring and falling asleep to the sounds of African Wildlife all around you. Set in over 3,000 acres of open savannah grassland, Antelope Park is where you will be based during your work and volunteer experience. The setting provides you with opportunities to ride through the wilderness on horseback, view the abundance of wildlife in the park or canoe on the scenic lake.
Accommodations are a mixture of comfortable twin or quad thatched rooms at the main reserve camp with clean shower and toilet facilities located adjacent to the sleeping area. Antelope Park also caters to visiting guests and you can choose to upgrade your accommodation to a river tent or lodge at extra cost.
Volunteers have the opportunity to use the guest facilities which include the beautiful swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and bar/coffee shop.
All your meals, unless you happen to take a packed breakfast into the park on a long lion walk, will be served at the main camp and are guaranteed to leave you feeling nourished and happy!
Your stay at Antelope Park during your volunteer work with animals, will not only leave you with memories that will last a lifetime, but also with the knowledge that you have personally contributed to the survival of the African Lion.
Fun & Travel
Go on Adventure Trips
Being based in Antelope Park gives you the opportunity to walk and interact with both lions and elephants, as well as ride through the wilderness on horseback to view the wildlife in the park. During the evening, an exclusive night encounter will give you an amazing, close up experience of lions hunting in their natural environment.
Soak up the Culture, and Relax!
Your volunteer experience will allow you to be immersed in a new cultural environment. In the surrounding area, you can visit some impressive ancient stone ruins called “Dzimbabwes”, and on lazy afternoons, you can relax on a sundowner cruise or do a bit of canoeing. Antelope Park also has stables with horses suitable for all levels of riders – enjoy a sunrise trail ride through the reserve, or try your hand at polocrosse.
Evenings are a great time to relax after a hard day’s work and socialize with other volunteers and interns at the park. Movie nights, bonfire nights, fundraising events such as an African Culture night, trivia/quiz nights, table tennis, volleyball and football are all on offer. Antelope Park has a beautiful bar area and deck where you can view stunning African sunsets over the river.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Ndinokumbirawo kuti muzvitaure futi. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“The people at Antelope Park are amazing! From the moment you arrive to the moment you are dropped off at the airport, they make you feel welcome and part of the family! They are always smiling and ready with a ‘how are you?’.
Katia Dam, Denmark
“I had an amazing at AP. The staff, all the volunteers and especially the animals. I love how the handler’s give so much love for the whole project, and that we, as volunteers, can help to make a change. I wish I could have been there for ever, and I know for a fact that I’m going back as soon as possible. Thanks for having me, AP, and for everything I got to learn and experience.”
Thea Sagen, Norway