Girls are a powerful force for change in Africa, but their potential is often constrained. This ground-breaking program aims to empower, educate and uplift adolescent girls aged between 11 and 18. Get ready to learn about the challenges facing girls in Tanzania and work as part of a team to ensure their potential is unlocked and utilized.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Facilitate workshops educating vulnerable girls about health, early pregnancy and family planning
- Explore social issues with adolescent boys and girls and how they affect boys and girls differently
- Create role models for younger girls through the members of our women’s group
- Run social media campaigns which highlight to the world the importance of girl empowerment
- Get a really authentic African experience by living and working in an African village
- Interact daily with members of the Maasai Tribe to understand more about the day to day life and culture
- Live and working alongside other international volunteers near the majestic Mount Kilimanjaro!
About the Destination
Mt Kilimanjaro is one of the most iconic attractions in the whole of Africa, the Continent’s highest peak and nestling at its base is the busy tourist town of Moshi; a bustling network of food markets and restaurants, where one can’t escape the ‘catchy’ Swahili music of the locals… and don’t forget the goats who will regularly stop the traffic!
As well as being in awe of the different colors, smells and sounds in Moshi, you can’t help but notice the incredible variety of cultures and specifically that of the Maasai people, colorfully dressed in their traditional ‘Warrior’ clothing and brandishing some of the most impressive jewelry.
The Maasai are gentle people who live very traditional lives and you will get the life-changing opportunity to spend time with these tribes, dancing, drumming, tasting their food and begin to understand the vibrant culture of these unique people.
Living just a short drive away from Moshi, you will spend your time volunteering in the rural village of Mdawi, in an exclusive fully furnished volunteer house with plenty of outdoor space to enjoy nights spent under the stars (and trust us, you’ve never seen so many!) and opportunities for you to interact with and bond with the local villagers.
As well as hosting some of the friendliest and welcoming people in Africa, you can’t come to Tanzania and not experience its other locals… the wildlife. With monkeys in the trees and lizards sunning themselves on the rocks in your garden, living here is a perfect balance between integrating with the Tanzanians and enjoying the spectacular nature the unforgettable country offers. Why not catch the Great Wildebeest Migration at the world-famous Serengeti Park? Or see herd after herd of wild elephants from a hot air balloon drifting along the plains?
If it’s even greater adventures you’re after, how about trekking up Kilimanjaro? We can assure you after volunteering in its awesome shadow it will definitely be on your mind!
Fun & Travel
Tanzania is home to some of the world’s most famous national parks, perfect for spotting the Big 5 of African wildlife. One of the highlights of an African safari is to experience the annual migration of an estimated two million wildebeest (joined by hundreds of thousands of zebra and Thomson’s gazelles) across the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Maasai Mara in Kenya.
You can view this spectacular seasonal event by land, air or both!
Hikes and Camping Trails
Volunteer Group Activities
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact volunteer home in the village of Mdawi – a cozy, safe and lively house shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
“African Impact helped me to realise my dream. My experience was unbelievable. Everything was so great: food, accommodation and people… the people gave me part of their hearts. If you want to be a great volunteer, choose the African Impact team to discover the real vibe of African nations and to feel that you are a very important character in making people happy.“
“Best experience of my life. This project is extremely well organised by the African Impact staff who make you feel safe and supported throughout your whole volunteer experience. One of the nicest aspects of this project is that the work you do is very respected and appreciated so the community welcomes you with open arms allowing you to make lots of new friends with your students and other people you work with on the project. Basically it’s a beautifully inspiring project and I wish I could go back!”
Chelsea Edwards, UK