Join our girl empowerment project and educate young people about gender equality while helping them pursue their dreams and aspirations. You will play a vital role in empowering and educating girls and boys from Cape Town’s impoverished townships by helping them finish their education and supporting them in working towards their future goals. By being a part of this initiative, you are making a positive impact on young girls, their future families, and their communities.
Winner of GoAbroad’s Innovative New Program Award 2016
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Experience the real, uncensored Cape Town as a responsible traveler and volunteer daily in township communities surrounding the city
- Genuinely impact the lives of disadvantaged girls and young women, empowering them to become leaders in their community and advocates for gender equality in South Africa
- Engage boys in the conversation about gender equality through fun activities, educational workshops, and youth groups
- Be a positive role model for children at girls’ and boys’ clubs, encouraging trust and positive relationships through the discussion of important and relevant subjects
- Engage with groups of vulnerable teenagers and young adults, delivering skills workshops and support groups that help them deal with early pregnancy and finding a job
- See for yourself why Cape Town has been named the ‘Most Beautiful City in the World’ for the past 5 years
- Take advantage of the once-in-a-lifetime activities the city has to offer, including abseiling down Table Mountain, tasting some of the finest wine in the world, whale watching, and snorkeling with seals
About the Destination
Cape Town is officially one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Framed between oceans, wine valleys, and mountains, it’s surrounded by incredible natural beauty such as Table Mountain, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World and gorgeous coastlines. Cape Town is also a place of huge diversity, lively cultures, and vibrant nightlife. Living here is dynamic and interesting, and weekends will give you a chance to discover its beauty and experience its magic.
You can venture to the top of Table Mountain to watch the sun set, go paragliding, kayak beside dolphins and penguins, hang out on some of the many beaches, sip wine at stunning vineyards, head out on safari, enjoy Africa’s finest restaurants, and even take to the skies on a helicopter flight over the city. If you want to explore the culture of the country, visit the historic Robben Island or take a free walking tour through the city to learn about Apartheid.
Volunteers live in a shared volunteer and intern house in Muizenberg, which is just three minutes from one of the most popular beaches in Cape Town’s South Peninsula. Aside from being one of the best surfing beaches around, it’s an area filled with vibey bars, cafes, and amazing restaurants. Our team of international and local staff members live and work with you, so expect to see and do more than most tourists could ever dream of.
Fun & Travel
South Africa was named the top adventure travel destination in the world, so you will be spoiled for choice when it comes to adventure activities. Hike up the magnificent Table Mountain or take the cable car to the top. Once you’ve soaked in the breath-taking view, you can choose to abseil your way down. Surfing lessons, stand up paddle boarding on the open ocean, zip lining, snorkeling with seals, shark cage diving, and sky-diving are also on many tourists’ “bucket lists”.
Beach and Ocean Adventures
Although the water may be just a little cold, Cape Town has plenty of beautiful beaches to visit, each with its own unique atmosphere. If you are really keen to explore the waters, you can dive with the sharks, swim with seals, or take a tour to Cape Point Peninsula where you can swim with the resident penguins at Boulders Beach.
Cape Town has many iconic sites which make for great photograph opportunities. Take a boat trip to Seal Island, take a ferry to Robben Island, visit the winelands, and see the city from the sky on a paragliding tour. A convenient and fun way to see more of what the city has to offer is to take the Hop-on, Hop-off City Tour bus. You will also have a chance to do some shopping and enjoy fine dining at the V&A Waterfront or at one of the many local food markets.
Cape Town has something for everyone. If you’re not really a city slicker and prefer to discover what nature has to offer, you can experience an African Safari at Aquila Safari – a “Big 5” private game reserve with animals such as springboks, lions, cape porcupines, olive baboons, leopards, and African elephants.
Cape Point, at the tip of the Cape Peninsula, lies within a nature reserve within the Table Mountain National Park, which is a World Heritage Site. Cape Point is a nature enthusiast’s paradise with many buck, baboons, Cape Mountain Zebras, birds, and a variety of flora and fauna unique to the area.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your stay at our volunteer house in Cape Town – a cozy, safe, and lively house shared by our volunteers, interns, and staff
- Three meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation, and training session to ensure you contribute responsibly and sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you will need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, and souvenirs
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Klim in die bakkie, ons gaan nou lekker braai. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do, and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our volunteer projects which have been developed hand-in-hand with local communities.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are pushing the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer programs can achieve.
“My time here at African Impact has been immersive, educational, and a lot of fun. I truly feel that working here as a volunteer has had as much of an impact on myself as I have on project. I have fallen in love with all of the wonderful people I’ve had the pleasure to work with on the various Girl Impact projects, and have been continuously inspired by them and all of the other volunteers I have met here.”
Ella Draplin, USA
“It’s honestly the hardest thing leaving this project. Not only the amazing people that you meet that become your family, but also the staff. I have never come across a more successful and sustainable organization. The African Impact team in Cape Town is truly amazing and I cannot recommend it enough to future volunteers. You get everything; social life, scenery, helping others, a new family, the list is actually endless.”
Jessie Mitchell, Australia