Join our experienced and hardworking team in Zambia who are dedicated to improving gender equality and promoting female empowerment, while gaining professional experience within the frame work of international development and specializing gender empowerment programs. This internship speaks to someone who is passionate about gender issues, developing hard-skills in a non-profit role and using their strengths to mentor and provide support on education, health, prevention of early pregnancy, personal safety, sustainable living and growth in self-belief.
AS AN INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Spend 2 – 6 months living at our project base in Livingstone, Zambia, where young girls are faced with social isolation, high rates of gender-based violence, economic vulnerability, and lack of appropriate health services
- Form part of our Girl Impact initiative that seeks to empower these young women through workshops, mentorship, and support in the following 6 areas: education, health, safety, early pregnancy, self-confidence, and income generation
- Gain exposure to international development issues
- Be supported by a Personal Development Coach and Internship Supervisor to acquire and develop new skills
- Help develop new programs and monitor the impact of our existing initiatives
- Work alongside other passionate volunteers and interns
- Live in the adventure capital of Africa; Livingstone, near one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls!
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure, wildlife, and the great outdoors. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
As an intern in Livingstone, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day. Your mornings are focused on empowerment workshops and activities with the boys and girls in the community, while the afternoons will be spent on a variety of development projects that help uplift the community. This gives you a well-rounded experience, exposes you to all parts of the community and is ultimately what makes being a Livingstone community volunteer so unique.
You’ll be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, lounge, BBQ and bar area. Your accommodation is a 5-minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of cafes and restaurants. You won’t want to leave your “new home” as the staff will become your new family!
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
Our internship fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who are there to support you 24/7
- Full training and mentoring within your chosen field
Our internship fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-placement activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
“My time with African Impact has been indescribable. Working with various groups of girls and women in the community has been an incredible experience and certainly one that I will miss. Working on project is so rewarding and the activities arranged between volunteers both inside and outside of the backpackers serve as a fun way of relaxing. Just like many volunteers before me, I am already planning my return!”
Hannah Watts, UK
“I was stunned by the quality of the experience. The amount of things that are quite literally at your fingertips to do in Livingstone and nearby is astounding. The coordinators of the projects here in Livingstone spend so much time getting to know your needs and helping you fit right into the project(s) you chose that you quite literally are contributing right away. I was helping teach and design lessons for a pretty powerful curriculum to empower young girls that hopefully inspired them, but truly empowered me.”
Nicole Stager, USA