Travel to Africa and choose from three fascinating destinations as your base for this 3-week Gender Equality program. You will explore gender equality issues in an African context and expand your theoretical knowledge by improving existing structures and implementing strategies to measure and assess impact. You will have access to experts in African development studies for in-depth subject matter and the curriculum can be tailor-made according to your academic focus and desired learning outcomes. This course would be particularly beneficial to students of international development, gender studies, human rights, education, anthropology, sociology, and African studies.
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THIS PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Going global and working alongside experts in the fields of gender and development studies
- Taking advantage of local experts and existing relationships to further develop the scope of your curriculum. Beyond the fascinating sites and culture, our three locations offer multiple opportunities to explore a development landscape that is yet to be shaped
- Developing an understanding of the complex influences and consequences surrounding gender equality in an African context through a series of lectures, workshops, focus groups, and guided reflection
- Using research as a tool for expanding cultural understanding, giving your students the platform to connect to the subject matter beyond stereotypes
- Exposing students to multiple cultures, languages, social situations, and different viewpoints, which will bolster their soft skills such as communication, intercultural learning, collaboration, and adaptability
- Directly impacting over 220 girls regionally
- Enjoying the many travel highlights of your chosen destinations
Moshi is a small town at the base of majestic and mysterious Mount Kilimanjaro. One of the most famous attractions in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro is the continent’s highest mountain peaks and a truly mesmerizing sight. The busy tourist town of Moshi is a bustling little town that is the gateway to Kilimanjaro and your home during the program. Undoubtedly, the most iconic inhabitants of Moshi are the Maasai, a traditional warrior tribe who will impress you with their vibrant culture and warm nature. The area is also rich in wildlife. Seeing monkeys hanging in the trees and lizards reclining on rocks will be a regular occurrence during your stay in Moshi. Living in Tanzania is a perfect balance between cultural immersion and nature exploration.
Cape Town, South Africa
There is no denying that Cape Town is one the most beautiful cities in the world. Enveloped between oceans, mountains, and vineyards, it’s incredible natural beauty will bewitch you from the moment you arrive. It is also a place of incredible diversity, interesting cultures, and scintillating nightlife. Dynamic and interesting, your stay in Cape Town will be filled with memorable experiences and exciting activities. You can hike to the top of Table Mountain, take a ferry to Robben Island, or enjoy the sunshine and sand on one of the beaches. If you’re into food and design, there are numerous trendy markets serving up culinary treats and showing off locally designed goods. Venture outside of Cape Town to try the famous wine of the winelands and take in the unreal landscapes of the national parks.
A small city with rural character and friendly people, Livingstone is a welcoming and charming place. Surrounded by the wild African bush and with Victoria Falls and the Zambezi River nearby, it is also a place of immense natural beauty. Spend your weekends going on game drives in the national park, glide along the Zambezi on a boat cruise, or be awed by the spray of the falls. For the adventurous types, there is plenty to do. Known as the Adventure Capital of Africa, Livingstone offers white water rafting, bungee jumping, and gorge swinging. Livingstone is a tourist hub spot for good reason, the Zambian town offers an abundance of things to do and see.
Dates & Rates
Length of stay and cost of additional activities have an impact on the cost of the program. Please use the Apply Now form to get in contact with one of our Study Abroad experts.
Our program fee includes:
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- All daily transfers to and from your workshop and Action Learning locations
- Accommodation throughout your stay at our Moshi, Cape Town, or Livingstone home
- Three delicious meals a day, excluding weekends, cooked by chefs from the local community
- Orientation program, including a security briefing and introduction to Tanzania, South Africa, or Zambia
- Workshops, field trips, and excursions on the program schedule
- Assistance by the African Impact team and program coordinators
Our program fee excludes:
- Flights to Tanzania, South Africa, or Zambia, but we can guide you on this
- Personal insurance cover for the duration of the program
- Visa-related costs
- Any activities outside of your itinerary
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts, and souvenirs