Make a difference in a struggling community by providing basic, but essential healthcare, while at the same time contributing to the conservation of the iconic African Lion. As you experience the best of both worlds, this unique project will open your eyes to the beauty of Africa and its people, and allow you to get up close and personal with Africa’s amazing wildlife.
THIS PROJECT IS OPEN OVER CHRISTMAS 2018!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Gain valuable healthcare and medical experience by observing patient care within the clinics
- Get involved in tasks such as baby weighing, medical record filing and medication packaging
- Experience night duty in the clinics and assist in bringing new life into this world
- Join house-visits for patients who need extra care and support
- Enjoy hands-on work and extremely close encounters with African lions
- Walk alongside lions in the bush and witness them in their natural habitat playing and stalking prey
- Go on a ‘night encounter’ – lions hunting after dark. A once in a lifetime opportunity!
- Interact and help care for our four rescued African Elephants
- Take advantage of optional excursions to see Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas. You could visit Victoria Falls, the ‘adventure capital’ of Africa, go rhino trekking in Matobo National Park, or take a day trip to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins – a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
“It was by far one of the best experience I have ever lived. Meeting people from all over the world, walking with the lions and seeing the African animals it is what makes it special. I only stayed 2 weeks in Antelope Park and I can say that it was not enough because in community you get to do lots of projects and you get to meet people to whom you get attached extremely quick. Before arriving to antelope park I did not know what to expect and I must say that it was a pleasant surprise!” Chloe Rispoli, UK
“6 weeks in Antelope Park were just awesome – I feel like it’s only been 3 weeks here ! (Time is running soooo fast) I met so many people who were just so lovely !! So many experiences and there were all different ! ( Lion feeding, saw a delivery, teaching the children in a primary school, helping people who are in need..)” Josephine De Spirlet, Belgium
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2017 – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns, staff and guests
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Ndinokumbirawo kuti muzvitaure futi. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
About the Destination
One of the highlights of this volunteer project is most definitely that you will be based at Antelope Park Private Game Reserve (Zimbabwe’s Leading Private Game Reserve 2016), providing you with a full-time nature and wildlife experience throughout your stay.
Set in over 3,000 acres of open savannah grassland, you can expect to wake up to the distant sounds of lions roaring, and fall asleep to the sounds of African wildlife all around you
Antelope Park is home to the world-famous African Lion and Environmental Research Trust (ALERT) lion rehabilitation program. It is Africa’s first authentic program working to ethically re-introduce the offspring of captive-bred African lions back into the wild.
Volunteers on all projects at Antelope Park will get to play a role in this ground-breaking program if they are interested in learning more about lion conservation.
Accommodations are a mixture of comfortable twin – or quad – thatched rooms at the reserve’s main camp, with clean showers and toilet facilities located close to the sleeping area. There are plenty of guest facilities also available to volunteers, including a beautiful swimming pool beside the river, canoes, sundowner deck and coffee shop/bar. All your meals, unless you happen to take a packed breakfast on a long lion walk, will be served at the main camp.
Work & Impacts
Healthcare And Clinic Work
Work & Impacts
Fun & Travel
Visiting the Victoria Falls during your stay in Zimbabwe is a must! You will be mesmerized by the sheer volume of water and the magnificent display of nature. We facilitate group trips to Vic Falls where you can unleash your inner adrenaline junkie and do some bungee jumping, river-rafting, zip-lining or abseiling.
Fun & Travel
Observe the Wildlife
Fun & Travel
Soak up the Culture... and Relax!
Your volunteer experience will allow you to be submerged into a new cultural environment. In the surrounding area, you can visit some impressive ancient stone ruins called “Dzimbabwes”, and on lazy afternoons, you can relax on a sundowner cruise or do a bit of canoeing. Antelope Park also has stables with horses suitable for all levels of riders – enjoy a sunrise trail ride through the reserve or try your hand at polocrosse.
Fun & Travel
Evenings are a great time to relax after a hard day’s work and socialize with other volunteers and interns at the park. Movie nights, bonfire nights, fundraising events such as an African Culture night, trivia/quiz nights, table tennis, volleyball and football are all on offer. Antelope Park has a beautiful bar area and deck where you can view stunning African sunsets over the river.