Want to give back this holiday season? Although Christmas should be a time of family and joy, for many people it is a time of sorrow and despair as they yearn for lost loved ones or struggle with financial burdens. Giving your time by volunteering is one of the best ways to get into the spirit of the holiday, spread festive cheer and kindness, and uplift communities.
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Bring some festive cheer to the local community through holiday games, decorations, present swaps, and more
- Enjoy a special Christmas meal with your fellow volunteers and experience a unique African Christmas you will never forget
- Run holiday clubs at various primary schools in the area that give students valuable time to catch up on learning they missed during the term, as well as fun lessons and games with the volunteers
- Give children the opportunity to take part in sports, crafts, and art clubs
- Join our innovative building project, helping the community build sustainable structures for their villages
- Get stuck in with other community development initiatives, including farming, gardening and visiting the elderly
- Live a stone’s throw from the mighty Victoria Falls – one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World!
- Spend your weekends in the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa, bungee-jumping, white water rafting or heading out on safari to spot elephants, lions and more!
About the Destination
Livingstone is a beautiful rural town in Zambia that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife, and the great outdoors. Situated right in the heart of Africa, you will have easy access to countries that are famous for their beauty, wildlife, and unique experiences, such as Zimbabwe and Botswana.
Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi, or just enjoy a breathtaking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer. Don’t worry, you will certainly not miss out on wildlife. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephants, and giraffes. And often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project.
You will be fully immersed in the rural community every day, but you will be staying in a private volunteer house within Victoria Falls Backpackers. You will have access to a swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area, and a full climbing wall. Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants, so it’s an amazing place to spend Christmas and celebrate the New Year!
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting, and canoe trips are all exciting ways you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride along quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter. For adrenaline junkies, the famous bungee jump and gorge swing are unforgettable experiences.
Go on Safari
Zambia is safari country. Head out into the bush and you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bush walks, or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community, you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally handmade goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
- Accommodation throughout your stay at Victoria Falls Backpackers, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns, and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation, and training session to ensure you can contribute responsibly and sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you will need
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
Our projects are immersive and developed in a way to lets you experience the best of Africa. You will get to experience more than most tourists could ever dream of.
We are with you all the way
Our awesome staff on the ground will be available to support and guide you throughout your volunteer trip to ensure you get the most out of your experience.
We are about real, measurable change
Our volunteer projects have been developed hand-in-hand with local communities and are regularly monitored and assessed to ensure they are responsible and sustainable.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are pushing the boundaries of what responsible volunteer programs can achieve.
“My experience at African Impact has changed my life. They provided me with the knowledge and skills to help make a difference in the amazing world and culture that I was able to experience. African Impact was very involved in my travels and my safety making me feel very comfortable and safe. Thank you African Impact for changing my life and providing me with the materials needed to help make a difference.”
Sara Steingraf, USA
“Going to volunteer in Livingstone was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Being able to see the struggles that affect the local community was eye opening and being able to be a part of the solution was very rewarding. The local people are lovely and the kids are unbelievable – it was heartbreaking to leave! Volunteering with African Impact made me feel like I was making a real contribution.”
Shafeen Tejani, UK