Want to give back and make a real difference this holiday season? Or are you just in need of some sun and warm weather? Either way, why not come and volunteer in Zambia and make this holiday one you’ll never forget!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Bring some festive fun to some of the neglected and vulnerable members of the community through holiday games, decorations, present swap and more!
- Enjoy a special Christmas meal to make your African Christmas one that you will never forget!
- Run holiday clubs at various primary schools in the area, giving students a valuable time to catch up on learning they missed during the term, as well as enjoy fun lessons and games with the volunteers
- Give children the opportunity to take part in sports, crafts and art clubs
- Join our innovative building project, helping the community build sustainable structures for their villages
- Get stuck in with other community development initiatives, including farming, gardening and visiting the elderly
- Live a stone’s throw from the mighty Victoria Falls – one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World!
- Spend your weekends in the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Africa, bungee-jumping, white water rafting or heading out on safari to spot elephants, lions and more!
About the Destination
Livingstone, Zambia is a beautiful, rural town that many call “the real Africa.” Just a stone’s throw away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World – Victoria Falls – Livingstone is the ultimate playground for those who love adventure sports, wildlife and the great outdoors.
Whether you bungee jump, swim in the ‘Devil’s Pool’, feed some crocodiles, white water raft down the mighty Zambezi or just enjoy a breath-taking sunset, you will experience things that only Livingstone can offer! Don’t worry, you will certainly not miss out on wildlife. There are many national parks where you can observe lions, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles, elephant and giraffes and often, we spot some of these animals along the road on our way to project!
As Livingstone volunteer, you will be fully immersed in the rural community every day but you will be staying in a private volunteer house within the popular and welcoming Livingstone Backpackers. You will have access to a lovely swimming pool, hot tub, lounge and bar area and if that wasn’t enough, a full climbing wall as well! Your accommodation is a 5 minute walk away from Livingstone’s town center, which has many stores and a great selection of bars and restaurants, so it’s an amazing place to spend Christmas and celebrate the New Year!
Fun & Travel
Livingstone is your ticket to adventure. Take advantage of your proximity to the great and mighty Victoria Falls, as well as the other adventures the Zambezi has to offer. Zambezi boat cruises, river safaris, white water rafting and canoe trips are all ways in which you can encounter these great waters. You can also ride quad bike trails or view the scenery from the air in a microlight or helicopter.
For the adrenaline junkies, why not try the famous bungee jump or gorge swing?
Go on Safari
Livingstone, Zambia is safari country. Here, you can spot a whole lot of wildlife, do rhino bushwalks or even take a boat safari to spot elephants off the Zambezi River. You can also go on weekend outings to the world-famous Chobe National Park, which is across the border in Botswana.
Cultural Tours and Markets
Although you will be spending time in the community you will also be able to embark on a cultural tour to a local African village, giving you further insight into another way of life. You can also shop at some of the many markets and stock up on locally hand-made goods for your loved ones back home.
Dates & Rates
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at the lively Livingstone Backpackers, in a private section shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community (weekdays only)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
A ndzi ringeta ku endla xiculu. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“My experience at African Impact has changed my life. They provided me with the knowledge and skills to help make a difference in the amazing world and culture that I was able to experience. African Impact was very involved in my travels and my safety making me feel very comfortable and safe. Thank you African Impact for changing my life and providing me with the materials needed to help make a difference.”
Sara Steingraf, USA
“Going to volunteer in Livingstone was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Being able to see the struggles that affect the local community was eye opening and being able to be a part of the solution was very rewarding. The local people are lovely and the kids are unbelievable – it was heartbreaking to leave! Volunteering with African Impact made me feel like I was making a real contribution.”
Shafeen Tejani, UK