Volunteer in the world-famous Greater Kruger Area and work with underprivileged children in the local community, as well as conducting research on Africa’s Big 5 in the surrounding game reserves. This combination offers you a diverse, meaningful and rewarding way to experience the real South Africa!
THIS PROJECT IS OPEN OVER CHRISTMAS 2018!
AS A VOLUNTEER, YOU'LL GET TO:
- Be part of a team monitoring the movements and behavior of elephant herds, lion prides, elusive leopards, endangered rhino and the always impressive buffalo
- Help with important conservation initiatives, such as creating new waterholes, removing alien plants and conducting snare sweeps
- Join Reading andHomework Clubs to provide one-on-one educational support to help local children’s development
- Participate in After School Clubs – bringing the fun into learning with interactive play, sport and arts
- Uplift schools by creating vegetable gardens to support vital feeding programs and income generation
- Live in your own private lodge within the world-famous Greater Kruger Area
- Explore the Blyde River Canyon, take in the breathtaking Panorama Route or add another stamp to your passport by visiting the intriguing landlocked country of Swaziland over your weekends.
- Immerse yourself in the real South Africa, learning from her unique nature and rich cultural heritage
About the Destination
During your volunteer placement, you will stay at our program base in the Greater Kruger Area of South Africa, a wildlife hotspot situated just 45-minutes from the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Surrounded by game reserves, the spacious thatched lodge boasts a large swimming pool and is situated on 18 hectares of land. This beautiful landscape serves as home to impala, warthog, bush pig, nyala and a great diversity of birdlife. Here can you dine, relax and socialise with fellow interns, volunteers and staff.
Whether you’re looking for gap-year travel, work experience or simply to volunteer for a good cause, this is an experience that will give you new perspectives, new friends, new skills and give you a glimpse into the beautiful world of the African wild. At weekends our team can help you organize day and over night trips to nearby attractions, including the world-famous Blyde River Canyon.
Fun & Travel
Go on Weekend Trips
Back at the lodge after a day’s excitement and hard work, you can relax at the pool, have a drink at the bar, watch a movie or enjoy a games night with other volunteers. Often we have presentations by guides and other staff members giving you an extra opportunity to learn more about the African environment and its inhabitants, both animal and human. Dinner is served in the boma weekly with a nice big fire, often followed by marshmallows! You can also have fun by getting involved in some fundraising events such as games and quiz nights.
Cultural presentations, achievement presentations, poaching debates, star-gazing and a presentation about our partners and The African Impact Foundation could be available for you to attend.
Dates & Rates
Our project fee includes:
- Accommodation throughout your entire stay at our African Impact home in the African bush – a lodge surrounded by wilderness and shared by our volunteers, interns and staff
- 3 delicious meals a day cooked by chefs from the local community
- Airport pick-up and drop-off by the African Impact team
- Experienced international and local staff members who live and work alongside you every day
- A full induction, orientation and training session to ensure you can contribute sustainably
- All necessary project equipment and resources you’ll need on the ground
Our project fee excludes:
- Flights to your chosen destination, but we can guide you on this
- Medical or travel insurance
- Visa-related costs
- Weekend trips or tours, or any other non-project activity
- Snacks, soft drinks, gifts or souvenirs
- WiFi – it’s pretty slow here anyway!
Why volunteer with African Impact?
We live and breathe all things Africa
A ndzi ringeta ku endla xiculu. Don’t worry, you’ll get it when you get here.
We are with you all the way
Wrapping ourselves around you like a giant fluffy blanket, our awesome staff on the ground will make sure you see, do and experience as much as possible.
We are about real, measurable change
Responsibility and sustainability is the aim of the game on our very own volunteer projects, having built and developed them hand-in-hand with local communities since 2004.
We are leading the way
With some of the most progressive policies, we are helping to push the boundaries of what the responsible volunteer travel industry can achieve.
“I have felt so very grateful to be alive everyday that I have spent here. Admiring the beauty of the environment and wildlife and the love and laughter that I have shared in the community. I have also made some amazing friends from all around the world! Get ready for the most amazing experience of your life and don’t forget your torch!”
Angelina Farmer, UK
“I am concerned I may never find anywhere this beautiful again… I couldn’t think of a single reason not to come and no words could prepare you for the amazing adventure you are about to embark. You may arrive as a stranger but you will leave as part of the family.”
Rebecca Reece, UK