1 expedition. 3 months. 6 countries. Are you ready?
Highlights of this expedition:
- See all the best that South Africa, Swaziland, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana have to offer, and lend a helping hand along the way
- Gain skills in early childhood development care, health sciences, sustainable architecture, wildlife conservation, lion rehabilitation, photography, astronomy, geriatric care, teaching, language, cultural sensitivity, farming, and in the culinary arts, all in one trip
- Enjoy one of the World’s New Seven Wonders of the World by taking a cable car trip up Table Mountain to explore this biodiversity hotspot.
- Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Robben Island, that has come to symbolize the oppression of the Apartheid Government in South Africa, and visit the very cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years
- Take a trip down the Garden Route in South Africa and go whale watching, canoeing, hiking, craft beer and wine tasting, and more. We will also visit Africa’s southernmost point and go spelunking in the Cango Caves
- Visit St Lucia, home to South Africa’s largest population of hippos and crocodiles! Enjoy the bustle of tropical town while relaxing by the warm Indian Ocean
- Enjoy a couple of days in paradise when traveling to Mozambique to swim with the dolphins and enjoy beautiful white sand beaches
- Get up-close-and-personal with Africa’s Big 5 (leopard, rhino, lion, buffalo and elephant) while visiting Tembe National Park
- Go on a unique trip to the landlocked Kingdom of Swaziland and come face to face with beautiful animals, in the stunning setting of the country’s mountains, roaming fields and rocky outcrops
- Explore South Africa’s vibrant heart while visiting the city of Johannesburg and learning from its past, present, and future while visiting the Apartheid Museum and South Africa’s largest township, Soweto
- Experience close and unique encounters with the endangered white rhino while walking through the Zambian Bush
- Be amazed by one of the World’s Seven Natural Wonders, when traveling to the world’s largest waterfall, Victoria Falls, right on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Camp under the stars while spending 3 days on a safari searching for Africa’s unique wildlife in the world-famous Chobe National Park in Botswana
- Travel with other like-minded volunteers from around the world
Cape Town, South Africa (14 days)
Welcome to the Mother City, where you will be picked up from the airport and introduced to your guide and fellow travelers! Your first two weeks on the African continent will be spent living it up in our volunteer house between the swelling tides and Table Mountain. Your days will be spent volunteering on our projects in surrounding communities where you will support and assist vulnerable youths. Your free time can be spent exploring this multicultural hub; surfing, sky-diving, shopping at markets, hopping art-galleries, partying it up, or picking up some of the many local languages.
Accommodation: African Impact’s volunteer house in Muizenberg
The Garden Route, South Africa (5 days)
The Garden Route is a 180-mile stretch of coastline in South Africa, considered one of the most beautiful routes in the world. On this roadtrip, you will visit Hermanus, Cape Agulhas, Knysna, Tsitsikamma, and Addo Elephant Park. During this trip, you can join a whale watching cruise*, visit the southernmost tip of Africa, visit a colony of African penguins, go canoeing amidst indigenous forest, go on a safari, enjoy wine tasting, explore the Cango Caves, and go bungee-jumping (if you are feeling brave enough)*. *Optional activities
Accommodation: Some of South Africa’s finest backpacker hostels
St Lucia, South Africa (14 days)
After a short flight from Port Elizabeth, it’s time for a bumpy road-trip to the beautiful town of St Lucia. Time spent here will give you special insight into the Zulu culture and be filled with unique experiences that are only possible as a volunteer. Your work is varied, but will include teaching assistance, helping out at local clinics, empowering families through building work, and providing one-on-one attention to children who have been orphaned. However, it won’t all be hard work! We will also visit the Hluhluwe Game Reserve and go on a game drive, as well as visit a local cultural center.
Accommodation: African Impact’s volunteer house in the town of St Lucia.
Ponta de Ouro, Mozambique (2 days)
From St Lucia, we will head along the coast by road and cross the border into Mozambique (one of Africa’s best-kept secrets), know for its white sandy beaches and remote wilderness. You will spend the next two days in the paradise town of Ponta de Ouro. In between soaking up the sun on pristine beaches surrounded by tropical splendor, you will go swimming amongst the dolphins. In the evenings, experience a rubellite African sunset accompanied by sundowners.
Accommodation: A relaxed beach-side backpacker hostel
Tembe Elephant Park, South Africa (2 days)
Today we will cross back into South Africa and visit this game reserve for 4 game drives, hoping to spot elephants and the rest of the Big 5 (leopard, lion, buffalo and rhino).
Accommodation: Within the Tembe Elephant Park
Malkerns, Kingdom of Swaziland (3 days)
It’s time to tick the third country off your bucket list! We will visit Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary and enjoy activities like sunrise game drives, horse riding and mountain biking.
Accommodation: Within the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary
Greater Kruger Area, South Africa (19 days)
…And you’re off again! This time, to our project base in the Greater Kruger Region of South Africa. Your time here will be spent collecting valuable data on Africa’s at-risk wildlife, including elephants, lions, rhinos and leopards. You’ll use detailed ID kits to identify individual animals and take a course in wildlife photography. You will also work with local youth in reading clubs, work in a reptile center, learn about the Shangaan language, go kloofing, learn about rhino poaching, conduct snare sweeps, and go star gazing.
Accommodation: Surrounded by wilderness in African Impact’s volunteer lodge
Johannesburg, South Africa (3 days)
Welcome to South Africa’s largest city. This urban hub houses some of the country’s most successful, so enjoy the high-heeled nights and smooth tunes it requires. Jozi has more than glitz; some of the country’s most influential political thinkers were born and raised there, and their legacy stands to this day. You will see all of this and more when visiting the Apartheid Museum and the political heart that is the Soweto township.
Accommodation: A vibey 3-star guesthouse in the heart of the city
Livingstone, Zambia (14 days)
It’s less than a 2 hour flight from Johannesburg to your next destination, Livingstone in Zambia. Zambia is known as one of the safest countries to visit in the entire world, and one of the most beautiful. Aside from being home to the spectacular Victoria Falls, it is also a haven for wildlife. Your work here will include assisting the local community through various building projects, as well as helping clean up the local area by making eco-bricks; plastic bottles stuffed with soft plastic waste and used as building blocks. You will also assist in educational programs for children in the area. However, there will still be plenty of time for fun, including a walking safari in Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park to track white rhinos, and a dip in devil’s pool at Victoria Falls.
Accommodation: At the lively Livingstone Backpackers hostel
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (4 days)
After a quick hop across the Victoria Falls bridge, we’ll arrive in the town of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. Firstly, we will cruise down the Zambezi River searching for hippos and crocodiles, attend a drum show, and enjoy local cuisine. In addition, you will help in a pioneering, globally-recognized lion conservation project which is the first effort to release lions into the wild in Africa. You will work closely with these lions on their daily walks, and study them as their natural instincts develop.
Accommodation: African Impact’s volunteer house in Victoria Falls
Chobe Elephant Park, Botswana (4 days)
Country number 6! It’s only a short drive across the border before we reach our final country on the list: Botswana. This breathtaking destination is known for its vast wilderness, with 38% of the total land area devoted to national parks and wildlife reserves. So, what better way to end your trip than a 2-night safari at Chobe National Park, which is home to the highest concentration of African elephants anywhere on the continent. We will be going on a river safari and spend a night under the stars. Prepare to be blown away by the galactic sights, wildlife, and comfort of this luxury destination. After, we will head back to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, where you’ll catch your flight home.
Accommodation: Tented camp within Chobe National Park
The Finer Details
What activities are included in the cost?
- Volunteering at each destination we visit
- Table Mountain Cableway, Cape Town
- Robben Island Tour, Cape Town
- Township Community Tours, Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula Tour, Cape Town
- Wine tasting, Garden Route
- Cango Caves Adventure Tour, Garden Route
- Canoeing in Wilderness National Park, Garden Route
- Game Viewing in Addo Elephant Park, Garden Route
- Hippo and Croc Tour, St Lucia
- Hluhluwe Game Drive, St Lucia
- Zulu Cultural Night, St Lucia
- Dolphin Swim, Mozambique
- 4 game drives in Tembe National Park, South Africa
- Kloofing, Greater Kruger Area
- Panorama Route, Greater Kruger Area
- Safari, Kruger National Park
- Visit to Apartheid Museum, Johannesburg
- Soweto Tour, Johannesburg
- Rhino Walking Safari, Livingstone
- Devil’s Pool, Livingstone
- Visit to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Cruise on the Zambezi River, Victoria Falls
- Dinner and show at the Boma, Victoria Falls
- Lion Walk, Victoria Falls
- Chobe National Park Safari, Botswana
What else is included?
- A professional guide who will join you for the entire trip
- All accommodation for the 3-months
- Airport pick up and return
- All internal flights and transportation from your arrival until your departure
- All meals (except for a handful of weekend meals in Cape Town, St Lucia and Livingstone) ember will be waiting to meet you
- 24-hour support on every volunteer project, with on-site staff who live and work with you
Prices exclude (please speak to our team for a full activity break-down):
- Flights to the start and end points of the expedition
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa-related fees
- Snacks, soft drinks, souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- A handful of meals at weekends while in Cape Town, St Lucia and Livingstone (please speak to our team for full breakdown)
- Optional ‘big’ activities that are not listed in our full breakdown. This could include sky-diving, bungee-jumping, whale watching or paragliding, for example.