3 countries. 2 months. 1 expedition. Are you ready?
Highlights of this expedition:
- See all the best that South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe have to offer, and lend a helping hand along the way
- Gain skills in early childhood development care, sustainable architecture , wildlife conservation, photography, animal tracking, teaching, language, cultural sensitivity, all in one trip
- Enjoy one of the World’s New Seven Wonders of the World in Cape Town by taking a cable car trip up Table Mountain to explore this biodiversity hotspot
- Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Robben Island, that has come to symbolize the oppression of the Apartheid Government in South Africa, and visit the very cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years
- Take a trip down the Garden Route in South Africa and go whale watching, canoeing, hiking, craft beer and wine tasting, and more. We will also visit Africa’s southernmost point and go spelunking in the Cango Caves
- Be part of daily game drives to research Africa’s ‘Big 5’ (elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo and rhino), providing critical information that will protect them from poaching, starvation and misinformed culling
- Explore the area surrounding the Greater Kruger by visiting Blyde River Canyon and taking in the sights of the Panorama Route, plus going for a safari in the world renowned Kruger National Park
- Be amazed by one of the world’s Seven Natural Wonders, when traveling to the world’s largest waterfall, Victoria Falls, right on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Travel with other like-minded volunteers from around the world
Cape Town, South Africa (21 Days)
Welcome to the Mother City, where you will be picked up from the airport and introduced to your guide and fellow travelers! Your first three weeks on the African continent will be spent living it up in our volunteer house between the swelling tides and Table Mountain. Your days will be spent volunteering on our projects in surrounding communities where you will support and assist vulnerable youths. Your free time can be spent exploring this multicultural hub; surfing, sky-diving, shopping at markets, hopping art-galleries, partying it up, or picking up some of the many local languages.
Accommodation: African Impact’s volunteer house in Muizenberg
The Garden Route, South Africa (6 Days)
The Garden Route is a 180-mile stretch of coastline in South Africa, considered one of the most beautiful routes in the world. On this roadtrip, you will visit Hermanus, Cape Agulhas, Knysna, Tsitsikamma, and Addo Elephant Park. During this trip, you can join a whale watching cruise*, visit the southernmost tip of Africa, visit a colony of African penguins, go canoeing amidst indigenous forest, go on a safari, enjoy wine tasting, explore the Cango Caves, and go bungee-jumping (if you are feeling brave enough)*. *Optional activities
Accommodation: Some of South Africa’s finest backpacker hostels
Greater Kruger Area, South Africa (14 Days)
…And you’re off again! This time, to our project base in the Greater Kruger Region of South Africa. Your time here will be spent collecting valuable data on Africa’s at-risk wildlife, including elephants, lions, rhinos and leopards. You’ll use detailed ID kits to identify individual animals and take a course in wildlife photography. You will also work with local youth in reading clubs, work in a reptile center, learn about the Shangaan language, go kloofing, learn about rhino poaching, conduct snare sweeps, and go star gazing.
Accommodation: Surrounded by wilderness in African Impact’s volunteer lodge
Livingstone, Zambia (14 Days)
It’s less than a 2 hour flight from Johannesburg to your next destination, Livingstone in Zambia. Zambia is known as one of the safest countries to visit in the entire world, and one of the most beautiful. Aside from being home to the spectacular Victoria Falls, it is also a haven for wildlife. Your work here will include assisting the local community through various building projects, as well as helping clean up the local area by making eco-bricks; plastic bottles stuffed with soft plastic waste and used as building blocks. You will also assist in educational programs for children in the area. However, there will still be plenty of time for fun, including a walking safari in Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park to track white rhinos, and a dip in devil’s pool at Victoria Falls.
Accommodation: At the lively Victoria Falls Backpackers Zambia hostel
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (1 Day)
Hop over the border into Zimbabwe and see the mighty Victoria Falls from the other side. After marveling at this gushing Natural Wonder of the World you will get a chance to wander around the lovely Victoria Falls town where you will get a glimpse into life in Zimbabwe. After a day spent taking in the sights and sounds of this part of the world, we will head back over the border and spend our last night enjoying the warmth and tranquility of Livingstone.
The Finer Details
What activities are included in the cost?
- Volunteering at each destination we visit
- Table Mountain Cableway, Cape Town
- Robben Island Tour, Cape Town
- Township Community Tours, Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula Tour, Cape Town
- Wine tasting, Garden Route
- Cango Caves Adventure Tour, Garden Route
- Canoeing in Wilderness National Park, Garden Route
- Game Viewing in Addo Elephant Park, Garden Route
- Panorama Route, Greater Kruger Area
- Safari, Kruger National Park
- Rhino Walking Safari, Livingstone
- Devil’s Pool, Livingstone (in season)
- Victoria Falls, Livingstone
What else is included?
- All accommodation for the 2-months
- Airport pick up and return
- All internal flights and transportation from and to project destinations
- All meals (except for a handful of weekend meals in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Livingstone)
- 24-hour support on every volunteer project, with on-site staff who live and work with you
- Laundry and WiFi at the volunteer lodges
Prices exclude (please speak to our team for a full activity break-down):
- Flights to the start and end points of the expedition
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa-related fees (please check with your Destination Manager for specific costs for each country)
- Snacks, soft drinks, souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- A handful of meals at weekends while in Cape Town and Livingstone (please speak to our team for full breakdown)
- Optional ‘big’ activities that are not listed in our full breakdown. These have been marked with an asterisk throughout the brochure
- Transport to some weekend activities