This project offers volunteers the opportunity to enhance their wildlife photography skills whilst contributing to vital conservation within the reserve. Our constantly growing photo database helps with education initiatives and proceeds go directly back into our core projects. Based at Thanda Private Game Reserve in South Africa.
Wildlife Photography And Conservation, South Africa Thanda Private Game Reserve, North East corner of South Africa
Take a look at the current volunteer photography gallery here.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Thanda Private Game Reserve, North East corner of South Africa
What will I be doing?
Wildlife Photography in one of South Africa's most exclusive Big 5 game reserves, as well as conservation education in local communities. No experience necessary.
- A contribution to the Thanda foundation which acts as a conduit for the raising of funds for community development projects as well as for conservation research initiatives
- Funding educational materials for the schools and tools for conservation work
- Return transport between Durban Airport and Thanda Game Reserve
- Orientation program, including a photography course administered by an experienced photographer
- All game drives/transfers that are project related, during your stay
- Full board and lodging, which includes 3 meals a day at our volunteer house
- Assistance at your projects by African Impact staff and volunteer coordinators and our onsite wildlife photographer
- Personal Travel Insurance for the duration of your placement
- All transport to Durban airport
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- E-mail / Internet and telephone calls
- Soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits
- All visas for border crossings
- Any excursions over-and-above your planned itinerary (see guideline of weekend travel highlights)
- A very small cost for laundry service (Roughly R60 for 15 items)
- Wifi costs of R40 for 30 mins and R70 for 60 minutes
For this project, enthusiasm for photography and African wildlife is essential. Photographic knowledge and experience is helpful, but not necessary. This project has been established for all levels of ability from complete beginners to professionals. Please note that you will be taught how to edit your photos on Photoshop/Lightroom and spend a good deal of time during the 4 – 12 weeks editing your images – for this reason a basic level of computer literacy is required in order to participate.
You need to be at least 18 years old to join.
Please note that in Africa (and particularly in this region) we experience a lot of water shortages and there may be times during your stay when this may affect you. Please keep an open mind and be conscious about how much water you use on a daily basis. Minimum Equipment Required to Participate: Volunteers will need to bring their own photographic equipment - they should bring an SLR digital camera with at least an 18-55 mm lens, battery charger and external hard drive (in the form of at least a 100GB external drive). Through past feedback we now have listed a tripod as a highly recommended item to bring with you. We also strongly advise that you bring a laptop with an editing program so you can edit your photos. If you don’t have a laptop, there is a computer available, but you will have to share with other volunteers.