If you are interested in pursuing a career in Law, this life-changing Internship will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the industry, on an international level! This internship is a unique opportunity to learn about other peoples, cultures and current human rights issues. An internship in Cape Town, South Africa is the perfect opportunity for you to expand your cultural and professional horizons!
Human Rights And NGO Law Internship Cape Town, the Mother City of South Africa
Cape Town International Law Internship Projects
We have a number of firms at which we place our interns. These opportunities are based on the candidate’s skills and experience; and each internship program is tailor made for you.
Your role as an intern and the hands-on legal work you’ll be involved in will differ slightly from placement to placement, but could include:
- Monitoring legislation
- Drafting policy papers, affidavits and other legal documents
- Give legal advice
- Assessing human rights claims
- Conducting research
- Meeting with clients
- Attending court cases
You will work with a team of legal professionals with a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you with via the mentorship program; and by the end of the program you’ll have a number of new skills to add to your CV or resume.
For more details on the firms we place interns with and roles available, please take a look at the next tab, ‘What Will I Do’.
WHY PAY FOR AN INTERNSHIP?
Our professional internship placements can ensure your internship experience is individually tailored, to suit your specific background and experience, and what you are hoping to take away from this invaluable experience. There are a number of different reasons to invest money in an international Internship:
1.Gain invaluable experience, giving you an advantage over your peers on the job market
2.Prospective employers value international work experience, and also consider well travelled candidates to have ‘life’ experience
3.With our Professional Internship Programmes in Cape Town, we individually tailor each internship, ensuring you receive the best possible placement based on your requirements
4.We are in partnership with dozens of reputable organizations in the Cape Town area, and liaise with them on your behalf to secure a hand-picked placement.
5.We invest in our applicants, and review all required application materials carefully, before proceeding with securing your internship site.
6.You will be guided by professional mentors throughout your placement, and also receive 24 hour emergency assistance and support from your Internship Coordinator
7.Take part in CV/Resume building workshops included in your placement fee
8.Make friends for life with other international interns on the programme
9.Boost your professional stature while exploring one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
You can join our Internship programmes for between 4 and 12 weeks, with longer placements available depending on the circumstances.
There are no specific start dates and Internship placements will commence around your travel dates, adding great flexibility for you and your studies. We do advise Interns arrive at thier placement on the 1st or 16th of any month.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Cape Town, the Mother City of South Africa
What will I be doing?
Work as a legal intern at one of South Africa’s many inspiring NGOs or law firms that engages human rights law issues.
- Gain Insight into the South African Judicial System.
- Become personally involved in protecting and promoting Human Rights through legal channels
- Experiencing the industry in a stunning new environment, Working outside of your cultural context with people from different backgrounds.
- Enhancing your CV with an international internship.
- Becoming well-versed in Cape Town’s cosmopolitan culture and spectacular geography.
- An opportunity to live and work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Project Cost Includes
- All transfers to and from Cape Town International Airport upon arrival and departure
- Internship placement
- Comprehensive orientation programme
- Weekly Xhosa language lessons
- Weekly activities and excursions
- Weekly football matches
- CV Building workshops
- 24 hour emergency support
Project Cost Excludes
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, snacks, drinks and clothing (work and other)
- Return flights to Cape Town International Airport
- Transport to and from your internship placement
- Email and telephone calls made during your placement (charged out at cost).
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary
- Personal insurance cover for the duration of your placement, which is expected to include cover for repatriation.
- A ZAR2000 refundable deposit for accommodation damages, payable on arrival for your internship, should you select our program housing option
- Electricity of approximately ZAR150 per month, should you select our housing option
Previous experience in Legal environments, or already be studying or intend to study in a related field.
Upon your arrival into Cape Town you will be collected at the airport by one of our project facilitators and transferred to your accommodation. You will then take part in a two-day extensive orientation programme. During these 2 days you will be familiarised with the requirements of your internship site and learn how to maximise your time during your stay. During orientation you will also have discussions on history, local politics and geography. The facilitators will give you lots of practical information on living in Cape Town, including a review on emergency procedures, and detailed information on health, well-being and safety issues. You will then have a tour of the city and the public transportation methods to help you familiarise yourself with your surroundings.
Throughout your placement you will have the support and guidance of our experienced internship coordinators. They are part of our greater African Impact support team, which will provide you with competent 24-hour field support and assistance.