Gain NGO experience and assist in exciting Educational Initiatives in this Rural South African Village! You will be based in a stunning and varied destination with waterfalls; game parks, colourful "koppies" and the world’s biggest Baobab!
Rural Home Stay NGO Operations And Education Internship Bennde Mutale, Limpopo; 500m from Kruger National Park's Pafuri Gate
Pafuri is nestled between the borders of Zimbabwe and Mozambique, in South Africa and the village is situated on the fence line of the Kruger National Park and the Mutale River.
A truly spectacular area! The village of Bennde-Mutale where interns will be based is quite large, with about 120 homesteads. Interns are housed with a local family, a true African cultural experience!
Operational Aspects of Internship:
•Assist with day-to-day management of the NGO, including but not limited to:
•Accounting and budget management
•Liaison with local civic organizations
•Assisting Bennde Mutale Home Based Care with operational guidance
•Sourcing and assessing future community development projects within the region
•Funding and grant research.
Educational Aspects of Internship:
Interns may assist in a wide range of projects surrounding educational development within the village. The primary focus is to help with education of pre-primary and primary school children. Intern involvement in the educational programme can be tailored, but current projects within the village include the following:
The After-School Club involves many varied activities - teaching English, maths, geography, playing sports, doing jigsaw puzzles etc. Programmes run Monday to Thursday, from 16:00pm till 18:00pm. The ages of the children range from 6 to 17 years old.
There are a number of local crèches in the area. Interns in Bennde-Mutale will help out at the crèche in the Learning Centre, which educates approximately 40 kids, aged 1 to 5 years old. Other crèches in the area may have enrollments of up to 60 kids, ranging from 1 to 5 years old. Staff at the local crèches are dedicated and passionate, but are understaffed and lack resources, often working without pay. Volunteer and Intern assistance is highly valued.
LOCAL PRIMARY SCHOOLS
The age range and class sizes can vary from school to school and class to class. Interns will act as teaching assistants with learners from Grade 4 – Grade 7. Interns will need to be creative, and use their initiative to design own educational materials with limited resources.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Bennde Mutale, Limpopo; 500m from Kruger National Park's Pafuri Gate
What will I be doing?
Interns may assist in a wide range of projects including NGO operational support, and initiatives surrounding educational development within the village.
- Gain practical work experience with an NGO
- Make a positive impact in the lives of underprivileged youth
- Enhance your CV with an international internship
- Meet and work with people from different countries and cultures
- Experience and learn about a different culture on this home stay internship
- Make friends for life with other international interns and volunteers on the programme
Internship Cost Includes:
- All transfers and accommodation from Johannesburg International Airport to Bennde Mutale
- All overnight accommodation required en-route to Bennde Mutale
- Internship placement
- Comprehensive orientation programme
- Home-stay accommodation with families experienced with hosting international interns and volunteers
- 3 meals a day
- 24 hour emergency support and guidance from Internship Coordinators
Internship Cost Excludes:
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, snacks, drinks and clothing (work and other).
- Return flights to Johannesburg International Airport
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary
- Personal travel insurance cover for the duration of your placement - to include cover for repatriation and air evacuation
No experience necessary; however an interest in education and/or the NGO sector is required (drivers license is useful, but not required)
Minimum 18 years, maximum dependent on the participants health.