Holistic Horse and Stable Management Internship Program based at Antelope Park, a stunning private Game Reserve situated in the heart of the Zimbabwe Midlands.
Antelope Park Holistic Horse Management Internship Antelope Park in the Zimbabwe Midlands
As an Intern you will gain experience in the daily running and management of an African stable, which caters for horse-riding lessons, horse safaris, carriage safaris and the sports of Polo and Polo Crosse.
Interns will assist with leading some of these activities, as well as participating in hands-on work within the stable, which houses 43 horses; a mixture of cross-breeds, which are mostly used for horse safaris around the Reserve, and thoroughbreds, which the stable trains for Polo and Polo Crosse disciplines.
The longer you spend on this internship, the more responsibility will be entrusted to you. Most of the work which Interns will be asked to undertake whilst with us will be riding orientated, such as schooling horses, guiding rides, fitness training, lessons and occasional wildlife management exercises on horseback.
Interns will be asked to adopt our own riding methods for some of the activities, for example training Polo Crosse or Safari horses. We have tried and tested methods of turning out safe Safari horses for our guests, and the same applies to training well-behaved and highly-schooled Polo Crosse horses.
These methods will be demonstrated and passed on to interns to enable them to assist with the horse-training exercises. We are a very open-minded stable and are always willing to gain any wisdom, whatever the riding style, Western or English.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Antelope Park in the Zimbabwe Midlands
What will I be doing?
Assist in Holistic Stable and Horse Management within a rustic African setting
- Get to know the African bush while exploring the savannah grasslands on horseback
- Gain valuable experience in Holistic Stable and Horse Management within a rustic African setting
- Work hands on with over 40 horses ranging from crossbreeds to thoroughbreds
- Get an introduction to our ground-breaking and globally recognised Lion conservation project
- Have the opportunity to walk alongside Lion cubs as they undergo their pre-release training on the reserve
- Experience local Zimbabwean culture
- Optional trips are available to see more of Zimbabwe’s natural wonders and wildlife areas such as the world famous Victoria Falls, Matobo National Park and the ruined city of Great Zimbabwe
- Make friends for life with the other international volunteers and interns on the programme.
- All transfers to and from, and overnights, in Bulawayo or Harare International Airports upon your arrival and departure.
- Assistance in your projects and comprehensive orientation by various trained guides and staff during your stay.
- Full board and lodging which includes 3 meals a day.
- Unlimited tea and coffee throughout the day.
- Weekly laundry service during your stay.
- The service of a cleaner to attend to your room each day.
The Project Fee Excludes the following:
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other).
- Return flights to Harare or Bulawayo International Airports.
- Any Visa's required.
- Email and telephone calls made during your placement (charged out at cost).
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary in Zimbabwe e.g. visit to the Victoria Falls.
- Personal insurance cover for the duration of your placement, which is expected to include cover for repatriation.
Minimum 17 years, maximum decided on health of the potential participant.
To check out the video for this internship, click here!