A unique opportunity to view, observe and be involved in the research of the magnificent Great White Shark in its natural environment in South Africa. You will also see other marine wildlife species, including Cape Gannets, Bryde's Whales, Cape Fur Seals, Dolphins and African Penguins. The knowledge which you will gain in turn will assist in the conservation and research of this incredible ocean predator.
Great White Shark Research & Conservation Project Gansbaai, situated two hours south-east of Cape Town
Please note GBP and US$ prices displayed for this course are guideline prices only and placement fees are payable in South African Rand (ZAR).
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Gansbaai, situated two hours south-east of Cape Town
What will I be doing?
Assist with the research and conservation of Great White Sharks in Gansbaai, South Africa
- Observe Great White Sharks on a daily basis
- Cage-dive with Great White Sharks
- Learn about the biology and behaviour of the Great White Shark
- Learn basic seamanship, including wind directions and anchoring positions
- Assist with research and learn about shark conservation
- See other wildlife species such as whales, seals, penguins and dolphins
- Immerse yourself in local South African culture
- Project Fee: this goes directly back into the project that you are involved with and facilitates funding for items such as research and diving equipment
- Orientation program
- Board and lodging which includes breakfast at the volunteer house and lunch on the boat
- Email and Internet access at your volunteer house
- Unlimited tea, coffee and juice throughout the day
- Volunteer T-shirts and volunteer project cap
- White Shark field book/reference material
- A whale watching trip during Whale Season (August – December)
- All transport by air or bus to Cape Town
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- Telephone calls
- Laundry service during your stay (reasonably priced)
- Dinner daily, wines and spirits
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary i.e. Garden Route, Cape Town trip etc (your project manager can help plan this for you)
- Personal insurance cover for the duration of your placement, which is expected to include cover for repatriation
Minimum 18 years, maximum decided on potential participant's health