Malawi's only wildlife sanctuary and one of Africa's last truly urban wildernesses. An award winning programme, we perform wild animal rescue, rehabilitation and act as an education facility with extensive community outreach.
Wildlife & Monkey Sanctuary Project Lilongwe Wildlife Centre, Lilongwe, Capital City of Malawi
Work with over 250 rescued animals, including carnivores, primates, mammals, reptiles, birds and antelopes. Alongside our animal carers you can get involved with all aspects of animal care, from assisting the vet to helping with releases. Take care of our rescued baby orphans providing surrogacy work, bottle feeding, playing and providing all aspects of care until they enter the next phase of our rehabilitation programme and we can prepare them for release back into the wild.
Enjoy a night safari to see the nocturnal animals at the centre come to life. Search for elusive porcupines and bushbabies. You will be involved with maintaining and improving our Wilderness Reserve, which offers fantastic biodiversity with animals such as hyena, crocodiles, numerous insect and bird species, along with amazing examples of hardwood trees and even rare orchids. Enjoy riverside picnics, bird watching, partaking in our ongoing mammal censuses or helping to improve education signs. Our extensive education and community projects are crucial in our mission to offer long term commitment to conservation. Help local communities to support and benefit from conservation in a sustainable manner.
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Lilongwe Wildlife Centre, Lilongwe, Capital City of Malawi
What will I be doing?
Take care of over 250 rescued animals or help with our community and education programmes.
- Work alongside our animal carers taking care of over 250 rescued animals and help with all aspects of animal care.
- Learn more about wildlife rehabilitation and conservation in the countries only wildlife rescue centre.
- The opportunity to shadow our wildlife vet with health checks, operations, darting animals and treating injuries.
- Offering surrogacy work for rescued orphans until they enter the next phase of rehabilitation.
- Get creative with our ongoing Enrichment programme constructing ‘toys’ to keep our animals happy and healthy.
- Enjoy a night safari to see the nocturnal animals at the centre come to life.Take part in maintaining and improving our Wilderness Reserve. It offers fantastic biodiversity with animals such as hyena, crocodiles, numerous insect and bird species, along with amazing examples of hardwood trees and even rare orchids. Enjoy riverside picnics, bird watching and partaking in our ongoing mammal censuses.
- With over 12,000 school children each year there is plenty of opportunity to help with our education programmes.
- Our community outeach go a lot further than conservation, help us implement programmes that help local communities address the problems the face.
- All meals and unlimited tea, coffee and juice.
- Your initial 30 day Visa is free on arrival.
- Transfers to and from the airport and all work related transport.
- Free wireless internet.
- Free t-shirt and local phone sim card.
- Laundry service and a cleaner to attend your room each day.
- Orientation and support from our ongoing training programmes.
- Full support and assistance from the Volunteer Manager throughout your stay.
- Travel and medical insurance
- Visas for placements longer than 30 days (roughly £20 for each additional 30 day period)
- Additional excursions, nights out, souvenirs and personal expenses such as soft drinks, beers and snacks
Our minimum age limit is 18 years old.