Located on the East coast of Zanzibar Island, in a village set on a tropical stretch of coastline, we invite you to join this unique teaching and community support project. Live right on the beach and cycle to the nearby villages to play a vital role in local education.
Volunteer Teaching & Community Project, Zanzibar in Tanzania
- Teaching English to children and very importantly, also to the teachers
- Singing and dancing with children
- Developing the children’s creative and motor skills through crafts such as painting, drawing, writing and colouring
- Playing developmental games with the children
- General upkeep of the school to keep it a pleasant environment in which to learn
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
What will I be doing?
Teaching in rural schools and community development initiatives on the tropical 'spice island' off East Tanzania
- Teach English to not only children and students, but also teachers and other community leaders
- Gain teaching experience in various nursery schools and adult ¬+ youth English classes.
- Help to strengthen and promote women’s empowerment within the village
- Assist in improving educational facilities in the community
- Enjoy cycling through the village and on the beach to and from your volunteer projects
- Create developmental and sports games for pre-primary school children
- Play a role in keeping the beach and village environmentally clean and aware
- Get a glimpse of life on the island, and have the opportunity to make a tangible difference in a community
- Get a taste of the Zanzibar culture - learn a bit of Swahili!
- Explore the archipelago with water sports or one of the many finest safari destinations on the continent!
- Make friends for life with the other international volunteers on the program!
- Project fee – this goes directly back into the project that you are involved with. It facilitates funding for resource items such as building materials, equipment, vehicles, and project supplies needed for the development of the project. When needed, project fee is also spent on providing essential medicine for the local medical clinic and helps fund ingredients needed to cook porridge for the nursery school children each day
- All transfers from Zanzibar Airport/ or the ferry port/ or a hotel in Stone Town upon your arrival and departure
- Comprehensive orientation
- Full board and lodging
- 3 meals per day in Jambiani at your African Impact Base (with the exception of Wednesday evenings spent at a local home restaurant, costing $10 USD)
- Any daily transport that might be required as part of the project during your stay
- Weekly laundry service
- Full support and assistance from our trained African Impact staff and Volunteer Coordinators for the entire time of your Zanzibar placement
- Flights to Stone Town, Zanzibar
- All transport by air or ferry to Zanzibar Island that is not related to the project
- Visa fees
- Personal travel insurance for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- Email/ Internet and telephone calls made during your placement
- Any activities and excursions outside of your planned project itinerary
- Wednesday Evening meals spent at a local restaurant or home
- Soft drinks, wines, spirits, between meal snacks, and weekend food
Some previous bicycle riding experience will be helpful, but is not essential. Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) is a bonus.
Minimum 17 years, maximum decided on health of potential participant.
- Community upliftment through painting, repair work, building
- Environmental maintenance work such as litter pick-ups and planting trees
- Making school resources such as posters and lesson plans
- Adult literacy lessons – when applicable as it does depend on the energy level of the students during their month of fasting