Surrounding this beautiful game reserve in South Africa are rural communities spread over a wide area, with many children and young adults in need of education and support. You will have the opportunity to share your knowledge, skills and experiences with young people in the Zulu heartland.
Over 30s Rural Pre School And Community Project, South Africa A private game reserve in Kwazulu-Natal near South Africa’s East coast.
- Renovating the structures
- Managing the garden
- Helping with water conservation
- Litter collecting and recycling
- Empowering the families to be self-sustainable through education
- Giving a presentation on your own life and experiences
- Discussing problems and giving advice as an elder of the society
- Helping with CV writing
- Giving drug advice
- HIV talks (using material developed by African Impact over the years)
- Discussing the implications of alcohol abuse
- Providing nutritional advice
- Performance arts and drama
- Teaching the children basic lessons about different themes and subjects with the aid of a translator
- Developing the children’s imagination and creative skills through crafts
- Reading children’s books to them
- Playing games and singing songs in both English and Zulu
- Helping with washing hands before meals and feeding children and babies
- Helping to refurbish the day care centre buildings to keep it a fun environment in which to learn
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
A private game reserve in Kwazulu-Natal near South Africa’s East coast.
What will I be doing?
Living in the heart of a Big 5 Game Reserve and assisting with sustainable development projects and education in very rural and underprivileged communities in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
- Live in the heart of a Big 5 Game Reserve and participate in two game drives per week
- Use your life experiences, knowledge and skills to inspire Zulu children and adults to be involved in development initiatives to support sustainable change
- Educate and play with small children, some of whom have lost their parents as a result of HIV/AIDS
- Help with the refurbishment of classrooms, clinics and daycare centres
- Work alongside community members to create a chicken and vegetable farm bringing much needed income to families living in rural communities
- Get involved with the local Youth Club, giving help, direction and a sense of worth to underprivileged teenagers and young adults
- Guide the grandmothers of the community at Reading Club, enabling them to use the donated library of books and share with their grandchildren
- Immerse yourself in the local Zulu culture and learn the language
- Make friends for life with other international volunteers
- The project fee entails financing that goes directly back into the project that you are involved with via the Thanda Foundation
- Transport between Durban airport and the project on set Sundays only. We will arrive at the airport for 10h30 and aim to leave at 13h30
- Orientation program, including a security briefing on living within a Big 5 game reserve
- All daily transfers to and from your projects during your stay
- Full board and lodging, which includes 3 meals a day at our volunteer house
- Assistance at your projects by African Impact staff and volunteer coordinators
- Personal Travel Insurance for the duration of your placement
- All transport to Durban airport
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other)
- E-mail / Internet and telephone calls
- Soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits
- All visas for border crossings
- Any excursions over-and-above your planned itinerary (see guideline of weekend travel highlights)
- A very small cost for laundry service (Roughly R60 for 15 items)
- Wifi which costs R40 for 30 mins & R70 for 60 mins
- For this project, no specific experience is required, but a genuine love and concern for people and the environment, being in good physical health and the ability to work as part of a team will be useful.
- Overview of the aims of the project and your role as a volunteer
- An introduction to where you are staying and description of the game reserve.
- On arrival you will have a comprehensive orientation facilitated by your volunteer coordinator including:
- Throughout your stay at your placement you will have the support and guidance of experienced field-workers and coordinators. They are part of our greater African Impact support team, and will provide you with competent 24-hour field support and assistance.
- Minimum 30 years, maximum decided on health of potential participant.