Kenya's population is hugely affected by the struggles of HIV/AIDS, poverty and unemployment.There are therefore, countless possibilities to impact lives, such as through our work in local orphanages, schools, and hospitals.
Healthcare, Orphanage And Hospital Volunteering, Kenya Limuru, in the lush hilly outskirts of Nairobi
- Helping with the teaching of the children under the close supervision of local staff
- Building/improving the facilities to make it feel more like home for the children: by painting pictures on the walls etc. Some of the orphanages we partner with are building to expand and improve their facilities. Your pair of hands will be greatly appreciated in this practical work
- General care such as cooking for the children's meals or organizing sports and play activities to promote the well being of the children
- Assisting orphanage workers in offering moral support and guidance to the children, training of basic life skills and any activities for various rehabilitative programmes in the orphanages
- Creating and teaching and children various arts and sport activities that make creative use of their time and hone their hidden skills and talents
What is the minimum stay?
Where exactly is it?
Limuru, in the lush hilly outskirts of Nairobi
What will I be doing?
Impact communities in and around Nairobi through healthcare and community programmes
- Share knowledge and experiences whilst building relationships with local staff at PCEA Kikuyu Mission Hospital and public health centres
- Learn about Kenyan healthcare services, including the challenges of caring for patients with limited access to resources
- Help staff more efficiently care for patients by assisting with tasks such as medical record keeping
- Gain valuable healthcare/ medical experience observing patient care provided by local qualified doctors and nurses
- Assist in various orphanages and pre-schools in Limuru
- Help with improving or enhancing the facilities as well as becoming involved in teaching and caring for the children
- Get a taste of the Kenyan culture – even learn some Swahili!
- Experience Kenya’s beautiful landscapes, amazing wildlife, and ethnically diverse vibrant culture!
- Make friends for life with local community members and other international volunteers on the project!
- Project fee – this goes directly back into the project that you are involved with. It facilitates funding for items such as resources, building materials, equipment and project supplies. It also covers operational costs such as housing, communication, and project vehicles.
- Full board and lodging which includes 3 meals a day and weekly laundry service.
- All airport transfers from Nairobi International Airport upon your arrival and departure.
- All daily transfers to and from your projects during your stay.
- Comprehensive Orientation Program.
- 24 hour assistance and support from the African Impact staff and Project Managers throughout your placement.
- Transportation to Nairobi.
- Visa fees.
- Personal travel insurance for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation.
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing (work and other).
- Email and telephone calls made during your placement.
- Any activities and excursions outside of your planned project itinerary.
- Soft drinks, wines, spirits, between meal snacks, and weekend food.
- Introduction to Limuru and the surrounding area.
- Overview of the Kenya Healthcare, Orphanage and Hospital Project and key staff and coordinators.
- Relevant information about common diseases and illnesses that you will be likely to come into contact with (ie – HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, etc).
- Q & A to answer any questions or concerns you might have.
- Volunteers’ role and responsibilities.
Minimum 18 years, maximum decided on health of potential participant.