Do you have a passion for cooking? Could you share your skills with the remote Hamar tribe in Ethiopia?
ENTER OUR AMAZING COMPETITION TO WIN A FREE 2 MONTH PLACEMENT on our Ethiopian project!
HOW TO ENTER:
- Put your skills to use and cook a dish using SOME OR ALL of the list of ingredients below (nothing else - ingredients in Ethiopia are very limited so no cheating!)
- Like our Facebook page (if you haven't already)
- Video yourself making the dish and post your video to our Facebook page (no more than 2 mins long please!)
- fresh chilli
- fresh ginger
- fresh moringa
- sweet potato
- soy sauce
ABOUT THE PLACEMENT:
You will be teaching a few individuals from a remote African tribe how to cook simple but creative international food. They are eager to learn & ready to rock!
Run by our sister company, Big Beyond, this position is located with the Hamar tribe of the remote South Omo, Ethiopia. It's hot, wild and amazing. It’s our passion to recruit from the local community and, as the way of life is so different and international exposure obviously limited, cooking skills and food knowledge are sometimes lacking (at least from a volunteer’s perspective) amongst Hamar tribe members. We are looking for a fun-loving, adaptable, cooking enthusiast to work alongside our local staff to assist them brush up their skills in the kitchen.
No qualifications are required and, while we would welcome a trained chef if they are happy to get back to basics, all we require is an individual with a passion for cooking, a flare for creating interesting dishes from limited ingredients, a sense of adventure and a willingness to teach the basics of cooking, from chopping an onion to developing new menu ideas.
WHAT TO BE AWARE OF:
- There is no electricity
- Cooking is done on 2 gas rings
- With limited gas supplies, cooking may have to be done on fire or charcoal on occasion
- Ingredients are extremely limited, largely vegetarian, and some can only be sourced via a 2 day drive - good planning is essential
- The local staff do not speak English. There is a translator but entrants must be creative with communication techniques at times
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN?
- The experience of a lifetime!
- CV-boosting cooking & training experience
- The chance to learn how to make delicious spicy traditional Ethiopian food
- Experience of assisting in other areas of volunteer project management where needed
- Memories that will remain with you forever
- The knowledge that you personally have made a vital impact to the lives of remote members of the Hamar tribe, whist contributing to the future survival of their cultural traditions
Length of placement: 2 months
What's included: All meals and accommodation for the duration of your placement when on the project base, & airport pick-up
What's not included: Flights to and from Ethiopia and visa costs (we will assist with organising your visa), personal travel & excursions and other personal expenditure (such as curios, clothes, toiletries etc) while on the placement.
ENTRIES MUST BE POSTED BY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2015
THE WINNER MUST BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO ETHIOPIA BEFORE 30TH NOVEMBER 2015
Meet Shada, our local chef:
Thank you! Good luck!
If this is not quite the right thing for you, but you would still love to work with the Hamar in Ethiopia, check out our amazing volunteer project - www.africanimpact.com/volunteer-projects/ethiopia/hamar-tribe-outreach-ethiopia/overview