Moshi volunteer Taelor joined us for a month on our Education Project in Tanzania. Here are her top 5 tips for volunteers joining the project:
1. Step outside your comfort zone and take as much responsibility as you can.
2. There is always room for improvement. Ask others for advice and work together to make each class more beneficial for students.
3. Build friendships with the people you will meet on project.
4. Let your personality out! It makes for unforgettable memories.
5. You are capable of more than you think you are - just try!
We also asked Taelor a couple of questions about the project:
What is your favourite project?
"It's hard to choose one but I have especially enjoyed the Maasai Literacy Programme. Many of the students are experiencing education for the first time although they are adults. I love the moment when a student makes the connection between spoken words and words on the page."
What is your favourite meal a at the volunteer house?
What advice would you give to volunteers coming to Moshi?
"However long you're thinking of booking for... Double it! And learn a few words of Swahili before you come, a little will go a long way."