Marketing and Social Media Intern Naznin Daya spent three months learning, honing new skills and building her CV for her return home to her native Canada. Now, she's ready to enter the workforce in marketing and public relations, having learned these valuable lessons from her time in Cape Town with African Impact.
Interning abroad can be a scary thing to commit to. Personally, I was apprehensive at first because I had no idea what to expect. I didn't want to travel such a far distance to not receive exactly what I wanted. After speaking with previous interns, I took the risk and am so thankful I did because this internship was the best thing I've ever done.
Here are my TIPS on what to expect for those of you who still on the fence about interning abroad!
1) You will get thrown into the deep end-but in a good way! The management and staff that you will be interning with have so much trust and faith in their interns, it’s quite nice because you get treated like an adult. Most people think that interns do all the work no one else wants to do - NOT true at all! You are given specific tasks with certain expectations and deadlines.
2) The internship is catered to YOU Each internship with African Impact is built around the skills/knowledge you want to gain or already possess. Everyone is so flexible and wants your experience to benefit you. You're there to learn and add more to your CV!
3) You gain a lot of important and transferrable work experience This helps to increase your confidence in a particular field - whether that be working with animals, fundraising, marketing, or more, the knowledge and skills gained allow you to have more credentials in a “real life work environment.”
4) You get to work with professionals in the field Expect to learn A LOT from very smart and knowledgeable people. Having learnt from professionals will increase your self-confidence!
5) You will be immersed in the culture! Wherever you choose to intern in Africa, you will dive right into the culture you're surrounded by. Not only will you be living in a completely new environment, which is very exciting, you will get to try new foods and appreciate the little things you never did back home, like electricity and running water! Interning in Africa opens your mind up to new possibilities and new ways of thinking. Being and living with the local people is an unforgettable experience!
There you have it! 5 tips on what to expect while interning abroad. Why would anyone not want to intern abroad!? There are so many wonderful opportunities to learn and grow!